California sets rules to reopen manufacturing; Tesla's Musk cheers
- Dow ends at record high, Nasdaq falls as tech slides
- Trump's Facebook (FB) Ban Upheld, Oversight Board Asks Company to Come Up With a 'Proportionate Response' Going Forward
- PayPal (PYPL) Tops Q1 EPS by 21c, Offers Q2 and FY Guidance
- Peloton (PTON) Plunges After Recalling All Treadmills, Analyst Says Will Negatively Impact Broader Tread Rollout
- T-Mobile (TMUS) Gains After Topping Q1 Consensus as 5G Story Accelerates, 'More to Come' Says Analyst
FILE PHOTO: California governor Gavin Newsom waits to speak at a news conference in San Diego, California, U.S. October 9, 2019. REUTERS/ Mike Blake
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California has set rules to allow state manufacturers to begin reopening on Friday from a coronavirus lockdown, Governor Gavin Newsom said, drawing an enthusiastic "Yeah!!" on Twitter from Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) Chief Executive Elon Musk.
But Tesla is located in one of the San Francisco Bay Area counties, Alameda, that have a separate lockdown scheduled to last until the end of May. Under that county order, Tesla's only U.S. vehicle factory, in Fremont, California, is not allowed to operate regularly.
The state order announced on Thursday does not supersede the county plan, Alameda Sheriff's Office spokesman Ray Kelly told Reuters by text message.
The state plan outlined by the governor includes several requirements for reopening, such as implementing physical distancing, screening workers and training employees on limiting spread of the virus.
Musk has criticized the lockdown and has been eager to reopen the Tesla factory. Musk is also CEO of rocket and spacecraft company SpaceX.
Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
(Reporting by Peter Henderson in San Francisco; Additional reporting by Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento, Calif., and Tina Bellon in New York; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) taps tiny startup Springpower's tech to build cheaper, cleaner batteries - Techcrunch
- FCA To End Pooling Agreement with Tesla (TSLA) Early, Analyst Calls News a 'Very Big Deal'
- Active options: AAPL TSLA AMD PLTR NIO PFE AMZN FB SNAP BAC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesSanford C. Bernstein, Twitter, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!