Brazilian lawmaker rejects Lula's request to be minister for communications
FILE PHOTO: Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva speaks during a meeting at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, March 18, 2025. REUTERS/Adriano Machado/File Photo
BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazilian lawmaker Pedro Lucas Fernandes rejected an invitation from President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to be minister for communications, a role that oversees areas including telecommunications and postal service, Fernandes said on Tuesday.
Fernandes, who heads conservative party Uniao Brasil in the lower house, said in a statement that while he was honored by the decision, he believed he could better serve the country in his current role.
Earlier this month, Government Institutional Relations Minister Gleisi Hoffmann said Lula had named Fernandes as the new minister, after Uniao Brasil put him up for the role.
Leftist Lula has said Uniao Brasil would have the right to suggest the new minister for communications, as the previous one, Juscelino Filho, also belongs to the party.
Filho resigned from the role this month after charges against him became public as part of a probe into misappropriation of public funds.
The alleged events occurred before Filho joined Lula's government.
(Reporting by Maria Carolina Marcello in Brasilia; Writing by Andre Romani; Editing by Kylie Madry)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Samsung Elec sees up to $79.5 billion available for 2026 shareholder returns
- European stocks steady, set for weekly loss as oil prices, yields stay elevated
- Taiwan warns off, shadows Chinese research ship sailing to its west
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share