Arab states to keep talking with Trump envoy on Egypt's Gaza plan
FILE PHOTO: A Palestinian man stands inside a house that was damaged by Israeli strikes during Israel-Hamas fighting last May, in Khan Younis in southern Gaza Strip September 26, 2021. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/File Photo
CAIRO (Reuters) - Arab foreign ministers said on Wednesday they would continue consultations with U.S. President Donald Trump's special envoy over Egypt's plan for rebuilding the Gaza Strip, an alternative to Trump's proposed takeover of the Palestinian territory.
Consultations and coordination on the plan would continue with the U.S. special envoy, Steve Witkoff, as a "basis for the reconstruction efforts" in Gaza, according to a joint statement following a meeting of the foreign ministers in Doha.
Earlier this month, Arab leaders adopted a $53 billion Egyptian reconstruction plan for Gaza that would avoid displacing Palestinians from the enclave, in contrast to Trump's vision of a "Middle East Riviera".
Trump's plan reinforced long-standing Palestinian fears of being permanently driven from their homes, and was met with widespread international rejection.
Egypt, Jordan and Gulf Arab states are concerned that any such plan would destabilise the entire region.
Egypt's reconstruction plan for Gaza provides for an administrative committee of independent, professional Palestinian technocrats entrusted with the governance of Gaza.
The plan is detailed in a 112-page document that includes maps of how its land would be redeveloped and dozens of colourful AI-generated images of housing developments, gardens and community centres.
Large-scale reconstruction funding would require heavy buy-in from oil-rich Gulf Arab states such as the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
The White House has previously said that the plan, which has recently received backing from France, Germany, Italy and Britain, did not address Gaza's reality.
(Reporting by Menna Alaa El-Din and Muhammed Al Gebaly; Editing by Gareth Jones and Aidan Lewis)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- U.S. debt tops $40 trillion
- Alibaba plans $10 billion Hong Kong share placement to fund AI spending
- Norway to give over $9 billion to Ukraine in 2027
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share