Al-Qaeda-linked JNIM says it killed soldier in first Nigeria attack
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) -Al-Qaeda–linked militant group, a Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), has claimed responsibility for an attack that killed a soldier in central Nigeria this week, its first known attack in the country.
In a video posted on its Telegram channel late on Thursday, JNIM said it launched the attack in Nigeria's Kwara state in the early hours of Wednesday, killing a soldier and seizing ammunition and cash.
The Nigerian military did not respond to a request for comment.
A military source confirmed JNIM had attacked troops on patrol, killing one soldier.
Nigeria is battling an Islamist insurgency led by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) that has killed tens of thousands and displaced more than two million more.
Last week President Bola Tinubu appointed new service chiefs in a sweeping overhaul of the country's military leadership, saying this was meant to strengthen national security.
On Thursday, without mentioning names, Tinubu told the new military leaders that he was concerned with the recent emergence of new armed groups in the north central, northwest and parts of southern Nigeria.
"We must not allow these new threats to fester. We must be decisive and proactive. Let us smash the new snakes right at the head," Tinubu said.
(Reporting by Ahmed Kingimi, Writing by MacDonald Dzirutwe, Editing by Sharon Singleton)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- How Tether's bitcoin mining plans in Uruguay unraveled
- Australia's Steadfast agrees to $5.51 billion buyout bid by KKR-backed consortium
- NHTSA opens probe into nearly 1 million GM pickups, SUVs over engine failure concerns
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share