ROUTE 66 NEON PARK OPENING IN PULASKI COUNTY, MISSOURI
"The opening of the Route 66
Discussions and efforts to establish the
"The
Since 1926, no other roadway in American history has evoked a sense of reverence, nostalgia, and wanderlust quite like
Today,
"Route 66
Signs featured at Route 66
AlPac Motel — Formerly located east ofPacific, MO , this sign advertised the motel owned by Fred andJean Miller , which was known as the "Home of Good Food." The sign was rescued by the Route 66 Association of Missouri, then owned by Missouri State Parks before it was donated forNeon Park in 2022.Alura Motel — Later known as theLin-Air Motel , this motel located nearSt. Louis was built byPaul Lammers in the late 1940s. The lettering uses an uncommon style called "triple stroke," with the letters outlined with an additional stroke of neon in the middle, creating a classic and highly visible calling card during its 66 heydays. The sign was purchased by Friends of the Mother Road, Inc. and eventually made its way to Henry'sRabbit Ranch inStaunton, IL , in late 2004.Rich Henry took care of and displayed the sign for 13 years until its owner, the Friends of the Mother Road, Inc., donated it toNeon Park .- D & G Liquor — Opened by Herman and
Jodie Paulette , D & G Package Liquor operated inSaint Robert until 2009. At that time, Greg andJolanta Chmura restored and moved the sign from its original location toSaint Robert Boulevard in 2015. The initial restoration work was done by Signs in Time ofSaint Robert . The Chmuras later donated the sign to Route 66Neon Park in 2018. - Modern Cabins — Originally located just a quarter mile from
Neon Park , this sign was originally installed on the rooftop at 515Ole Route 66 inSaint Robert , where some of the original cabins still stand. The sign was removed in 1977 and stored in a garage untilMarch 2015 , when it was donated for use at Route 66Neon Park . - Motel
St. Louis — Also known as the "Motel Beautiful," thisSt. Louis -area motel boasted 44 "ultra-modern units" and station wagon service to the airport. In 2015, the Route 66 Association of Missouri recovered the sign. The Association and the Missouri History Museum worked together to refurbish it for an outside display at the museum's exhibit along the Mother Road in 2016-17. After four years in storage, the neon has now been restored for its new home at Route 66Neon Park . - Scully's Restaurant & Motel — This sign originally advertised Scully's Sunset Inn, opened by
James Scully Sr . inSt. Clair . When his sons inherited the business, they replaced "Sunset Inn" with "Restaurant & Motel." The business closed in 1967, after which the property sat vacant for 17 years until it was acquired by the Agape House in 1984. The sign was donated to Route 66Neon Park by the Route 66 Association of Missouri. - Skyline Garage Auto Service — Established as a business partnership between
John Paul Richardson andJudith McMurtrey , Skyline Garage operated at 894Old Business Route 66 inSaint Robert . The sign was acquired by theCity of Saint Robert for restoration and preservation in 2023. Stanley Cour Tel — Built in 1950 by Stanley andOlivia Williams , thisSt. Louis -based motel earned notoriety for housing astronauts training for Project Mercury — the firstU.S. manned space mission. The sign was purchased by Friends of the Mother Road, Inc., with a donation from Dr.Joel Braunstein and was housed at Henry'sRabbit Ranch from 2004-2017, after which it was donated toNeon Park .- Tri-State Bonding — This bail bonds company was founded by Gene and
Kathleen Pugh in 1959 at the corner of Fifth and Lincoln streets inCarthage, MO. The sign featured a unique "jail bird" design — a popular photo op forRoute 66 travelers — and was donated toNeon Park by the Route 66 Association of Missouri.
About the Pulaski County Tourism Bureau
The Pulaski County Tourism Bureau and Visitors Center is a nonprofit organization (501C6) funded through a 3% guest tax collected by hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, and vacation homes for room nights sold within the county.
We are the designated, state-certified destination marketing organization (DMO) for
The Bureau also operates a state-of-the-art Visitors Center located north of
For more information or images, please contact:
Executive Director — Pulaski County Tourism Bureau
at [email protected] or call 573.336.6355
City Administrator —
at [email protected] or call 573.451.2000
Media & Public Relations Director — McDaniels Marketing
at [email protected] or call 309.346.4230
Learn more at www.visitpulaskicounty.org
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/route-66-neon-park-opening-in-pulaski-county-missouri-302432755.html
SOURCE Pulaski County Tourism Bureau
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- LONGi at UNCCD COP17: Li Zhenguo Explains Two Technological Pathways for PV-Powered Food Security
- PENGU and TRUMP Exploded – Could Apeing Be the New Meme Coin to Turn Early Buyers Into Winners?
- World's First Autonomous Humanoid Tennis Match: GALBOT Robots Complete 100+ Consecutive Rallies
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
PRNewswire, Press ReleasesSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share