Inaugural Money Smart Week® North Carolina Launches this April
Coalition of banks, nonprofits and local libraries will offer free consumer education forums on personal financial topics and expand the Federal Reserve's program in the state
CHARLOTTE, N.C., March 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time, the annual Money Smart Week® (MSW) public awareness program will have an official presence in North Carolina this year, led by a planning team of financial institutions, community organizations and libraries. Co-chairing the planning team in the state is the North Carolina Council for Economic Education (NCCEE) and Ally Financial. Money Smart Week is a national public awareness campaign created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago that takes place April 23-30. The local planning team has gathered support from more than 40 organizations around the state and will offer dozens of free programs and activities aimed at helping consumers to better manage their personal finances.
"For thirteen years, Money Smart Week has inspired financial institutions, schools, libraries, nonprofits and government agencies throughout the country to come together to make an impact in local communities," said Alejo Torres, Senior Outreach Manager at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. "We are grateful for the partnership of so many organizations in North Carolina and are looking forward to the many programs that will take place here in April."
Money Smart Week began as a one-city program in Chicago and has grown to all 50 states including North Carolina, with more than 4,000 events and 150,000 participants annually. Ally Financial and NCCEE are pleased with the response of organizations to join the 2016 North Carolina planning team.
"Ally is proud to help bring Money Smart Week to North Carolina, and join with other organizations in the common goal of helping consumers make smart financial decisions," said Jacqueline Howard, director of corporate citizenship at Ally and MSW co-chairperson. "In addition to working with other organizations to enhance MSW in North Carolina, we are also hosting Ally Wallet Wise financial education sessions during the week."
Forty organizations in North Carolina have registered as official MSW partners and will host a variety of events and programs such as, storytelling by the Charlotte Mecklenburg library and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, GeoCache for College Cash, an outdoor geocache scavenger-hunt contest held at local colleges and adult classes on topics including spending plans, managing student debt and retirement.
"Consumers today are faced with many personal finance choices from an early age, so it's important to provide them with education, tools and strategies to help them navigate the money challenges and opportunities that they will undoubtedly face in their lives," said Sandy Wheat, executive director of the North Carolina Council on Economic Education and MSW co-chairperson. "Money Smart Week is a great way for consumers to take advantage of free educational programs and resources."
Organizations participating in Money Smart Week in North Carolina include:
- Ally Financial
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte
- Bladen Community College
- Bragg Financial Advisors
- Braswell Memorial Library
- Cabarrus County Public Library
- Center for Smart Financial Choices
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
- Cumberland County Public Library
- Cumberland County Public Library, Hope Mills Branch
- Dress for Success Charlotte
- Durham Technical Community College
- Equipping Wise Managers - Crown Financial Ministries
- Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- Financial Planning Association of Charlotte
- First National Bank of Shelby
- Forsyth County Public Library
- Harris YMCA
- Junior Achievement of Central Carolinas
- McCrorey YMCA
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women-Queen City Metropolitan Chapter
- NC Department of State Treasurer
- New Hanover County Public Library
- North Carolina Bankers Association
- North Carolina Central University
- North Regional Library
- Northwestern Mutual
- Perry Memorial Library
- Rowan Public Library
- Sherrills Ford Branch Library
- Spring Lake Branch
- Stanly County Public Library
- Stratford Richardson YMCA
- Thomasville Public Library
- Topics Education
- Urban League of Central Carolinas
- Wehnwood Wellness Group
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Winthrop University
For more information, or to participate in Money Smart Week® visit, www.moneysmartweek.org
About Money Smart Week
Created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in 2002, Money Smart Week® is a public awareness campaign designed to help consumers better manage their personal finances. This is achieved through the collaboration and coordinated effort of hundreds of organizations across the country. Programming is offered to all demographics and income levels and covers all facets of personal finance. Partnering Organizations will host their events April 23 - 30, 2016. More information at www.moneysmartweek.org
Media Contact: Sari Martin Ally 646-781-2539 [email protected]
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/inaugural-money-smart-week-north-carolina-launches-this-april-300239612.html
SOURCE Ally Financial
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Vishay Intertechnology IGBT Power Modules in Redesigned INT-A-PAK Package Reduce Conduction and Switching Losses
- De University of Ethereum Launches Open Source AI-Blockchain Learning Tools and Powers Web3 Onboarding at ETHDenver 2024
- BEAUTIFUL KITCHENS & BATHS MAGAZINE UNVEILS 30 MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS FOR 2024
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPress Releases
Related EntitiesWells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!