Meta Platforms agrees to delay closing Within deal given U.S. challenge
- Nasdaq slides 1% as chipmaker Micron's warning rekindles tech rout
- Citi’s Top Equity Strategist Warns Analysts are Too Bullish on Stocks
- Bank of America Clients Continue to Buy the Rally, New Data Shows
- Novavax (NVAX) Crashes 30% After a Deep Guidance Cut, Analyst 'Frustrated'
- 'Hard to Say' Whether Current Crypto Bear Market is Over - Morgan Stanley
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Meta Platforms is seen in Davos, Switzerland, May 22, 2022.
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Meta Platforms, the parent of Facebook which is making a big play for virtual reality, has agreed to delay closing its deal for Within Unlimited, maker of the popular fitness app "Supernatural," according to a court filing.
The Federal Trade Commission had filed a lawsuit seeking to stop the deal in July, and had asked a judge in federal court in San Francisco for a temporary restraining order stopping the companies from closing the deal.
In a joint court filing on Thursday, Meta agreed not to close until 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 31 or until the first business day after the judge decides whether the case may go forward.
The FTC, which voted 3-2 on whether to file the lawsuit, called Facebook a "global technology behemoth," noting its ownership of popular apps including Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp, and said its "campaign to conquer VR" began in 2014 when it acquired Oculus, a VR headset manufacture
Facebook, which agreed to buy Within in October 2021 for an undisclosed sum, said when the lawsuit was filed that the FTC case was "based on ideology and speculation, not evidence."
The FTC argued in its complaint that the planned acquisition was a way for Meta to dominate virtual reality.
Meta already has the best-selling VR headset, the Quest 2, and controls a Meta Quest Store with hundreds of apps. Within, founded in 2014, creates original content for virtual reality. It describes itself as "the premier destination for cinematic virtual reality."
(Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Sandra Maler)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Active options: META BB GME GOOGL MSFT SOFI BYND BABA UPST MARA
- Pre-Open Movers: Nielsen Climbs 20%, AppLivin Makes Offer for Unity
- Meta Platforms (META) said to agree to put Within purchase on hold amid the FTC lawsuit - Bloomberg
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Reuters
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!