ByteDance sales surged above $110 billion in 2023 - Bloomberg News
- Equities close slightly lower as focus shifts to data
- Zoom Video Communications guidance tops estimates following Q4 results beat
- Corporate profitability set to weaken - JPMorgan
- Global equities index sluggish with inflation in focus, oil climbs
- Nancy Pelosi buys Palo Alto Networks (PANW) call options, shares pop
Investing.com -- TikTok-owner ByteDance's sales climbed to more than $110 billion this year, suggesting a possible growth rate greater than rival Tencent, according to a Bloomberg News report.
Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg said that ByteDance broadly matched the 30% increase in sales it registered in 2022, when the top-line figure was over $80 billion. Peer Tencent is seen posting $86 billion in revenue this year, the report said.
But it was not clear how profitable ByteDance was this year, Bloomberg noted. ByteDance, a privately-held company, is not required to disclose as much information as listed firms.
The report comes as ByteDance faces heavy scrutiny from governments around the world over TikTok, the short-form video app that has turned into a social media megahit. Authorities in the U.S. have been especially skeptical, flagging that TikTok's Chinese ownership may present national security concerns. TikTok is working to establish a standalone entity in the U.S. that will manage local user data, Bloomberg said.
Elsewhere, the company's Douyin division -- TikTok's counterpart in mainland China -- has been introducing more services on the platform that will allow users to perform functions like food orders and hotel reservations. However, China's post-pandemic recovery has remained sluggish, with consumer spending particularly lackluster.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Futures edge lower; economic data, earnings this week - what's moving markets
- Rivian to be impacted by "tepid demand" for electric vehicles - UBS
- Fed's Williams says rate cuts likely to happen 'later this year'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesInvesting, Private Company News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!