Bessent says may raise bond buyback beyond $4 billion

August 20, 2026 11:22 AM EDT

Investing.com -- U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday that the government may increase the volume of Treasury bonds it plans to repurchase beyond the previously announced levels. The announcement came one day after the department surprised markets by revealing plans to double the buyback amount.

"We're going to increase the size of the buyback," Bessent said in a CNBC interview. "I would note that it could be more than the $4 billion per issue."

Bessent said the Treasury is working to keep the market in equilibrium and emphasized the need to focus on bond fundamentals. He stated that the buyback program serves a signaling purpose.

"We want to show that yields do not reflect underlying fundamentals," Bessent said regarding the bond buyback initiative.



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Investing

Related Entities

Maynard Um, Mark Zuckerberg, ARK