Clairvest Reports Fiscal 2021 Third Quarter Results
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
TORONTO, Feb. 11, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Clairvest Group Inc. (TSX: CVG) today reported results for the fiscal 2021 third quarter and nine months ended December 31, 2020 as well as material events which occurred subsequent to quarter end. (All figures are in Canadian dollars unless otherwise stated)
- December 31, 2020 book value was $843.0 million or $55.98 per share versus $868.5 million or $57.67 per share as at September 30, 2020. During the quarter, Clairvest paid a $5.00 per share special dividend
- Net income for the quarter ended December 31, 2020 was $49.9 million or $3.32 per share. For the nine months ended December 31, 2020, net income was $90.1 million or $5.98 per share
- Clairvest and Clairvest Equity Partners V (“CEP V”) completed the sale of Right Time Heating and Air Conditioning (“Right Time”) for a 4.7x multiple of invested capital or an IRR of 110%
- Clairvest and Clairvest Equity Partners VI (“CEP VI”) made a new equity investment in F12.NET
- Clairvest and CEP VI made a new equity investment in Brunswick Bierworks
- Subject to the approval of the Toronto Stock Exchange, Clairvest’s Board of Directors approved a new normal course issuer bid
Clairvest’s book value was $843.0 million or $55.98 per share as at December 31, 2020, compared with $868.5 million or $57.67 per share as at September 30, 2020. The decrease in book value for the quarter was attributable to $5.00 per share special dividend which was declared and paid in November 2020. Net income for the quarter was $49.9 million, or $3.32 per share, which resulted from the incremental gains on the sale of Right Time and net valuation changes in our private equity investment portfolio. Net income for the nine months ended December 31, 2020 was $90.1 million, or $5.98 per share.
During the quarter, Clairvest and CEP V completed the sale of Right Time. At closing, Clairvest and CEP V realized sale proceeds of $98.3 million, Clairvest’s portion of which was $29.5 million, against its $6.4 million investment over the two-year holding period. Clairvest is entitled to certain additional proceeds of up to $0.9 million as stipulated in the purchase and sale agreement.
In November 2020, Clairvest and CEP VI made a $36 million equity investment in F12.NET, a leader in the Canadian managed IT services space. F12.NET provides comprehensive technology packages to small and medium enterprises across the country. Clairvest’s portion of the investment was $9.7 million.
Also in November 2020, Clairvest and CEP VI made a $19 million equity investment in Brunswick Bierworks, a leading Canadian contract manufacturer of specialty beverages. Clairvest’s portion of the investment was $5.1 million.
“Our rigorous investment approach continues to generate superior returns for our investors, as evidenced by the Right Time sale,” said Ken Rotman, CEO of Clairvest. “On the capital deployment side, we are very excited with the two new investments and we look forward to growing these businesses with our respective entrepreneur partners.”
Subject to the approval of the Toronto Stock Exchange, Clairvest’s Board of Directors has approved a new normal course issuer bid to purchase up to 5% of the outstanding common shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange during a 12-month period expected to commence on March 8, 2021.
Summary of Financial Results – Unaudited
|Financial Results||Quarter ended||Nine months ended|
|December 31||December 31|
|($000’s, except per share amounts)||$||$||$||$|
|Net investment gain||61,561||86,848||111,636||120,498|
|Net carried interest from Clairvest Equity Partners III and IV||678||18,534||(7,086)||22,473|
|Distributions, interest income, dividends and fees||9,177||5,388||28,334||24,363|
|Total expenses, excluding income taxes||15,476||26,402||33,266||60,099|
|Net income and comprehensive income||49,937||73,046||90,055||94,435|
|Basic and fully diluted net income per share||3.32||4.83||5.98||6.25|
|Financial Position||December 31||March 31,|
|($000’s, except share information and per share amounts)||$||$|
|Total cash, cash equivalents and temporary investments||330,272||428,856|
|Carried interest from Clairvest Equity Partners III and IV||36,622||44,409|
|Management participation from Clairvest Equity Partners III and IV||27,774||34,115|
|Common shares outstanding||15,058,401||15,075,301|
|Book value per share(2)||55.98||55.55|
(1) Includes carried interest of $71,111 (March 31, 2020: $14,453) and management participation of $48,613 (March 31, 2020: $10,893) from Clairvest Equity Partners V and VI, and $91,460 (March 31, 2020: $56,431) in cash, cash equivalents and temporary investments held by Clairvest’s acquisition entities.(2) Book value is a Non-IFRS measure calculated as the value of total assets less the value of total liabilities. The term book value does not have any standardized meaning according to IFRS and therefore may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. There is no comparable IFRS measure presented in Clairvest’s consolidated financial statements and thus no applicable quantitative reconciliation for such non-IFRS financial measure. The Company has calculated book value consistently for many years and believes that book value can provide information useful to its shareholders in understanding its performance, and may assist in the evaluation of its business relative to that of its peers.
Clairvest’s mission is to partner with entrepreneurs to help them build strategically significant businesses. Founded in 1987 by a group of successful Canadian entrepreneurs, Clairvest is a top performing private equity management firm with over CAD $2.5 billion of capital under management. Clairvest invests its own capital and that of third parties through the Clairvest Equity Partners limited partnerships in owner-led businesses. Under the current management team, Clairvest has initiated investments in 56 different platform companies and generated top quartile performance over an extended period.
Maria ShkolnikDirector, Investor Relations and MarketingClairvest Group Inc.Tel: (416) 925-9270Fax: (416) firstname.lastname@example.org
This news release contains forward-looking statements with respect to Clairvest Group Inc., its subsidiaries, its CEP limited partnerships and their investments. These statements are based on current expectations and are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of Clairvest, its subsidiaries, its CEP limited partnerships and their investments to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include general and economic business conditions and regulatory risks. Clairvest is under no obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained herein should material facts change due to new information, future events or otherwise.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Prothena Presents Phase 1 Study Results of PRX004 in Oral Presentation at AAN 2021
- The Malouf Foundation Hosts Successful Inaugural Trafficking Policy and Education Summit
- La CAJO suspend et demande la révocation du permis de vente d’alcool de Family Kitchen, Leamington, pour non-conformité
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGlobe Newswire, Press Releases
Related EntitiesDividend, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!