SoftBank builds $1.2 billion Amazon stake; invests in Netflix, Tesla
- Wall St opens higher, led by tech shares
- Bitcoin Falls as Musk Says Tesla (TSLA) Will Suspend Vehicle Purchases Using Bitcoin, Citing Use of Fossil Fuels in Mining
- Alibaba (BABA) Misses Q4 EPS by 21c, Revenue Beats, Offers Guidance
- Amazon (AMZN), McDonald's (MCD) Join the Frenzy to Lure Entry-Level Employees Amid Shortage
- Dollar flat after more evidence of rising inflation
FILE PHOTO: A woman using a mobile phone walks past the logo of SoftBank Corp in Tokyo May 11, 2015. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/File Photo GLOBAL BUSINESS WEEK AHEAD
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
By Sam Nussey
TOKYO (Reuters) - SoftBank Group Corp <9984.T> has built a stake worth around $1.2 billion in e-commerce firm Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN), regulatory filings showed on Monday, as the tech conglomerate expands its investing activities beyond its recent focus on unlisted startups.
Chief Executive Masayoshi Son last week announced a new investment management subsidiary that would park excess cash from a massive asset sale programme in liquid stocks. SoftBank has spent around $10 billion buying shares.
Graphic - SoftBank's newly disclosed listed holdings https://graphics.reuters.com/SOFTBANK-INVESTMENTS/dgkpldrljpb/index.html.
SoftBank also disclosed a stake in chip supplier Nvidia Corp (NASDAQ: NVDA) worth around $220 million based on Friday's closing price. It exited its stake in the firm last year. SoftBank is currently in talks with Nvidia over a possible sale of chip designer Arm, media have reported.
The group is pivoting towards investing outside the $100 billion Vision Fund with its focus on unlisted, late stage startups. The fund has buffeted the group's earnings as the value of its holdings have fallen below acquisition price.
The value of many of the listed shares is rising, driven by a tech stock rally, with Tesla's shares up more than 60% since the end of June. Son has dropped operating profit as a measure of his group's performance, saying the value of the assets is a better yardstick.
(Reporting by Sam Nussey; Editing by Nick Zieminski)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) Bulls Weigh in on 'Head Scratching' 180 Degree Turn By Musk on Bitcoin, One Analyst Still See the Crypto Heading to $4M
- UPDATE: 908 Devices Inc. (MASS) Reports In-Line Q1 EPS, Revenues Beat; Affirms FY21 Revenues Outlook
- Fly Leasing (FLY) Misses Q1 EPS by 22c, Revenues Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Private Equity, Reuters
Related EntitiesTesla, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!