Intel delays launch of standalone desktop graphics chips to Q2
FILE PHOTO: U.S. chipmaker Intel Corp's logo is seen on their "smart building" in Petah Tikva, near Tel Aviv, Israel. December 15, 2019. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo/File Photo
(Reuters) - Intel Corp said on Thursday it has pushed back the launch of standalone graphics chips for desktops to the second quarter, while those for laptops will be rolled out in the first quarter as originally planned.
The announcement comes against the backdrop of an ongoing chip shortage and global supply chain issues, with chipmakers struggling to keep up with unprecedented demand.
The company's Arc graphics chips, that help video games and other content look more realistic, will compete with rivals Nvidia Corp and Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
Intel said in August last year the graphics chips for PCs would arrive in the first quarter of 2022.
Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are introducing notebooks with Intel Arc graphics for sale in the first quarter of 2022, the company said, ahead of its annual investor meeting on Thursday.
"Intel will ship add-in cards for desktops in the second quarter and workstations by the third quarter."
(Reporting by Eva Mathews in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Could Intel return to the red-hot memory market after $20B raise and recent hire?
- Six dead in 'stampede-like' incident at India temple, ANI says
- Myanmar confirms nearly 309,000 Rohingya in Bangladesh, says security issues delaying repatriation
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
General News, ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share