Amazon CEO doubles down on grocery store business - FT
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Amazon is seen at the company logistics centre in Boves, France, August 8, 2018. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol//File Photo
(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc Chief Executive Andy Jassy has vowed to double down on the ecommerce giant's struggling grocery store business, the Financial Times reported on Monday.
Jassy blamed a lack of normalcy during the pandemic for a series of stumbles and said the company was ready to "go big" on bricks-and-mortar stores, the report added.
Amazon did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
The company has paused expansion of its Fresh supermarkets and cashier-less convenience stores until it finds the right recipe for success, Jassy said, in a rare appearance on the company's quarterly results call earlier this month.
Jassy's remarks show how Amazon, which just a year ago said it would close its bookstores to focus on grocery, has yet to dominate brick-and-mortar retail since its closely watched acquisition of Whole Foods Market in 2017.
For the time being, the company has closed some grocery shops and impaired certain assets. It took a $720 million charge from such actions in the fourth quarter, its chief financial officer said earlier this month.
(Reporting by Tiyashi Datta in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli and Shailesh Kuber)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rosenblatt Starts Amazon.com (AMZN) at Buy
- Bonds steady after US Treasury comes to the rescue
- Moderna jumps premarket after Phase 3 trial, Target slides
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
General News, ReutersRelated Entities
Definitive AgreementSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share