Sirius XM (SIRI) Misses Q2 EPS by 1c; Raises Outoook
- Wall Street ekes out gains to close languid week
- 'Faster than Porsche but Safer than Volvo': Tesla (TSLA) Begins Model S Plaid Deliveries, Priced Between $131,100 and $145,600
- Oil hits multi-year highs in third weekly gain on demand recovery
- Snowflake (SNOW) Falls Following Investor Day Despite Strong Guidance, Analysts Bullish But Say Investors May Have Wanted More
- Dollar looks stronger as euro and sterling dip
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Sirius XM (NASDAQ: SIRI) reported Q2 EPS of $0.03, $0.01 worse than the analyst estimate of $0.04. Revenue for the quarter came in at $1.2 billion versus the consensus estimate of $1.22 billion.
Adjusted EBITDA in the second quarter of 2016 was $468 million, a record quarterly high and a 13% increase from $415 million in the prior year period.
"SiriusXM's second quarter results demonstrated continued strong demand for our content bundle and solid execution by our entire team. We grew net new subscribers by 587,000 in the second quarter, and our subscriber base, revenue, adjusted EBITDA, and free cash flow have never been higher. We are pleased to once again raise our key guidance metrics for the full year," said Jim Meyer, Chief Executive Officer, SiriusXM.
"Our programming team has been hard at work developing new and exclusive content to power our unique service. From Town Hall specials with the cast of Broadway's Hamilton to a pop-up channel dedicated to the legendary Prince to full coverage of music festivals like Coachella, SiriusXM has something for everyone. For two weeks we have been providing 'gavel to gavel' coverage of the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, and we will follow the political action all the way to November. And stay tuned, because we are always working on exciting new content initiatives to please our subscribers," added Meyer.
SECOND QUARTER 2016 HIGHLIGHTS
- SiriusXM Subscribers Surpass 30.6 Million. The company added 587,000 net new subscribers to end the second quarter of 2016 with more than 30.6 million subscribers, an increase of 8% from 28.4 million subscribers at the end of the second quarter of 2015. Self-pay net additions were 507,000 during the second quarter, resulting in self-pay subscribers of 25.1 million, up 7% versus the prior year period.
- Double-Digit Revenue Growth and Record ARPU. Revenue climbed 10% to $1.2 billion, a record high for any single quarter. The increase was driven by an 8% increase in subscribers and a 3% increase in average revenue per user (ARPU) to $12.78.
- Free Cash Flow Reaches a Quarterly Record $395 Million. Free cash flow increased 6% to $395 million in the second quarter of 2016 from $371 million in the second quarter of 2015.
"During the second quarter, we spent $403 million to repurchase 102 million shares of our common stock. SiriusXM's average share count declined by 9% in the second quarter 2016 from a year earlier as a result of our substantial share repurchases. Our debt to adjusted EBITDA remained just 3.5 times, and we ended the second quarter 2016 with a cash balance of $476 million following our successful $1 billion Senior Notes offering in May. We have ample flexibility to continue making strategic investments in technology, content, and new satellite infrastructure while maintaining strong capital returns to our stockholders," noted David Frear, Chief Financial Officer, SiriusXM.
INCREASED 2016 GUIDANCE
The company now expects to add 1.6 million net new self-pay subscribers and 1.7 million total net new subscribers in 2016, an increase from prior guidance of 1.4 million and 1.6 million, respectively. SiriusXM now expects to record revenue approaching $5 billion in 2016, an increase from prior guidance of approximately $4.9 billion. The company now anticipates adjusted EBITDA of approximately $1.8 billion and free cash flow approaching $1.5 billion, increases from approximately $1.78 billion and $1.4 billion, respectively. The company's full 2016 guidance is as follows:
- Net self-pay subscriber additions of approximately 1.6 million,
- Total net subscriber additions of approximately 1.7 million,
- Revenue approaching $5 billion,
- Adjusted EBITDA of approximately $1.8 billion, and
- Free cash flow approaching $1.5 billion.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on Sirius XM (SIRI) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- 'They Can Hire Jeff Bezos and It Won't Make a Difference': GameStop (GME) Taps Senior Executives From Amazon as New CEO and CFO, Tops Q1 Earnings Estimates and Says May Sell Up To 5 Million Shares
- Asana, Inc. (ASAN) CEO Moskovitz Buys ~$20M in Stock
- Kaspien (KSPN) Misses Q1 EPS by 2c, Revenues Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesEarnings, Guidance, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!