Tesla (TSLA) to Join S&P 500
- Wall Street closes with weekly gains, S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - November 16, 2020 5:17 PM EST)
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) will be added to the S&P 500 effective prior to the open of trading on Monday, December 21 to coincide with the December quarterly rebalance. Due to the large size of the addition, S&P Dow Jones Indices is seeking feedback through a consultation to the investment community to determine if Tesla should be added all at once on the rebalance effective date or in two separate tranches ending on the rebalance effective date. Tesla will replace a S&P 500 company to be named in a separate press release closer to the rebalance effective date.
Commenting on the news, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said, "... this is a major feather in the cap for the Tesla bulls after much agonizing around not getting into the S&P 500 in early September."
Ives believes the sustained profitability trajectory was the final straw that got the company into the S&P 500 this time around despite all the noise around tax credit boosts.
"Clearly this is a key positive for shares and indexing purposes and ultimately removes another question mark around the Tesla story going forward," he added. The firm maintains a NEUTRAL rating and $500 price target with a bull case $700.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) call put ratio 1.3 calls to 1 put as shares sell off 1.6%
- Premise of the "squeeze" in Clover (CLOV) today appears to be a data error - Hindenburg
- PTC (PTC) Set to Join S&P 500
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Index Changes, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesStandard & Poor's, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!