Opera Limited (OPRA) Launches MiniPay Stablecoin
- S&P 500, Nasdaq notch biggest weekly losses since March
- S&P 500 could end the year over 10% higher from here - Piper Sandler
- Citi says Meta shares to rally in near term on share gains, upcoming AI event
- Ads are coming to Amazon Prime Video next year; Stock pops
- 'Sell the last rate hike' strategy is in action, stocks could fall further - BofA's Hartnett
Opera, a global web innovator, unveils MiniPay – a blockchain-based wallet built on the Celo blockchain. Directly integrated into the Opera Mini1 browser, MiniPay makes it easier and more affordable for individuals across
Introducing MiniPay: Empowerment Through Innovation
Opera designed and built MiniPay in collaboration with the Celo Foundation, enabling rapid wallet-to-wallet stablecoin transfers with sub-cent fees using mobile phone numbers and fast onboarding with automatic wallet backup through Google. All, while addressing some of the key barriers allowing for a seamless Web2 to Web3 journey for users looking for a more reliable way to store and send funds using stablecoins.
With an easy onboarding process using Google credentials, MiniPay ensures that every user experiences prompt digital asset transfers and a smooth introduction to Web3 transactions. In contrast, many non-custodial wallets require users to be crypto-savvy. The most common reason people lose their digital assets are the complexities around key management – forgetting the secret recovery phrase and passwords. MiniPay's goal is to make decentralized wallets intuitive so that users of all experience levels can transact. By automatically backing up the user's keys in their own
Opera brings simplicity to this by integrating with the top partners in the market supporting local payment methods such as Airtime, MPesa, Bank Transfer, or Cards. MiniPay is a non-custodial wallet which means that it doesn't touch any traditional banking rails and relies on local partners so users can add and withdraw stablecoins from their wallet into their local currency. MiniPay will also support Celo's FiatConnect standard, which has a growing number of integrated partners and will further improve the Cash-In-Cash-Out experience globally.
Opera and Celo: A Vision for Financial Inclusion and Empowerment
As a key steward of the Celo ecosystem, the Celo Foundation is dedicated to bringing affordable and accessible DeFi to mobile users around the world. This and Opera's focus on improving access to the digital world are a joint vision the two organizations share. Opera emerged as a tech pioneer in the African market more than 17 years ago, unveiling its unique data-saving technology through Opera Mini. Now one of the most popular apps and well-known brands in
"We are thrilled to unveil MiniPay, a cutting-edge partnership between Opera and the Celo Foundation that addresses existing concerns around how payments are made in the region. Users in
The Celo blockchain first launched on
Additionally, Celo's core technical features, on top of which MiniPay is built, include:
- Sub-cent transaction fees (and the ability to pay for fees using stablecoins
- Fast transaction speed with 5-second settlement in seconds
- Seamless access to Celo's rich ecosystem of 1,000+ dApps, from locally-focused UBI (e.g., impactMarket) to global decentralized finance (DeFi) blue chips (e.g., Uniswap)
- Celo's mobile-first compatibility with SocialConnect (a privacy-first naming service protocol that maps wallets to mobile phone numbers) and FiatConnect (an open on-/off-ramp API standard that facilitates Cash-In-Cash-Out integrations.
- Tapping into Celo's vibrant African community, with a strong focus on regenerative finance (ReFi), grown since mainnet launched on
"Few companies have the global footprint, local insight, and technical capabilities that Opera brings to the Celo ecosystem; I am excited to work even more closely with their team on what I see as a key building block to help realize Celo's mission at scale," said
Building for MiniPay
Following a vote by the Celo community in July to migrate from a Layer-1 blockchain to an Ethereum Layer-2, the Celo network will undergo technical upgrades to see increased security and scalability while maintaining low gas fees, bringing more real-world use cases to the Ethereum community. This technical migration, led by the Celo community and core contributors, including cLabs, opens the door for even more Ethereum-compatible dApps to be built for MiniPay, reimagining the future of on-chain finance for community advancement and inclusion in the new digital economy.
MiniPay will become available to Opera Mini users across
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ledyard Financial Group (LFGP) Appoints Charles Petersen to its Board
- Nano Dimension (NNDM) Re-affirms They Are Voting “AGAINST” Stratasys' (SSYS) Merger with Desktop Metal (DM)
- QuantaSing CFO to Participate in Fireside Chat on September 25
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Cryptocurrency
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!