JD.com (JD) Tops Q3 EPS by 10c
- Dow leads the way in broad Wall Street rally
- Amazon (AMZN) in Talks to Acquire Stake in Self-Driving Truck Startup Plus: Report
- Dollar dips after Fed rally, Bitcoin slumps
- 5 Companies Set to Hike Their Dividend Over the Next Few Weeks, 3 Dividend Aristocrats
- Oil rallies on weaker dollar and Iran supply uncertainty
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
JD.com (NASDAQ: JD) reported Q3 EPS of $0.50, $0.10 better than the analyst estimate of $0.40. Revenue for the quarter came in at $25.7 million versus the consensus estimate of $25.7 million.
Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results
- Net Revenues. For the third quarter of 2020, JD.com reported net revenues of RMB174.2 billion (US$25.7 billion), representing a 29.2% increase from the same period in 2019. Net product revenues increased by 27.4%, while net service revenues increased by 42.7% for the third quarter of 2020, as compared to the same period of 2019.
- Cost of Revenues. Cost of revenues increased by 28.5% to RMB147.4 billion (US$21.7 billion) for the third quarter of 2020 from RMB114.7 billion for the third quarter of 2019.
- Fulfillment Expenses. Fulfillment expenses, which primarily include procurement, warehousing, delivery, customer service and payment processing expenses, increased by 32.4% to RMB11.6 billion (US$1.7 billion) for the third quarter of 2020 from RMB8.8 billion for the third quarter of 2019.
- Fulfilled Gross Margin4. Fulfilled gross margin for the third quarter of 2020 was 8.7%, as compared to 8.4% for the third quarter of 2019.
- Marketing Expenses. Marketing expenses increased by 22.8% to RMB5.5 billion (US$0.8 billion) for the third quarter of 2020 from RMB4.4 billion for the third quarter of 2019.
- Research and Development Expenses. Research and development expenses was RMB4.1 billion (US$0.6 billion) for the third quarter of 2020, as compared to RMB3.6 billion for the third quarter of 2019.
- General and Administrative Expenses. General and administrative expenses was RMB1.6 billion (US$0.2 billion) for the third quarter of 2020, as compared to RMB1.3 billion for the third quarter of 2019.
- Income from Operations and Non-GAAP Income from Operations. Income from operations for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB4.4 billion (US$0.6 billion), compared to RMB5.0 billion for the same period last year. Non-GAAP income from operations for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB5.3 billion (US$0.8 billion) with a non-GAAP operating margin of 3.0%, as compared to non-GAAP income from operations of RMB3.0 billion for the third quarter of 2019 with a non-GAAP operating margin of 2.2%. Operating margin of JD Retail before unallocated items for the third quarter of 2020 was 3.9%, compared to 3.3% for the third quarter of 2019.
- Non-GAAP EBITDA for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB6.6 billion (US$1.0 billion) with a non-GAAP EBITDA margin of 3.8%, compared to RMB4.2 billion with a non-GAAP EBITDA margin of 3.1% for the third quarter of 2019.
- Others, net. Others are other non-operating income/(loss), primarily consists of gains/(losses) from fair value change of long-term investments, gains from business and investment disposals, impairment of investments, government incentives, and foreign exchange gains/(losses). In the third quarter of 2020, other non-operating income was RMB3.7 billion (US$0.5 billion), as compared to other non-operating loss of RMB4.0 billion for the third quarter of 2019. The substantial increase was primarily due to the fair value change of investment securities, which had a gain of RMB2.9 billion (US$0.4 billion) for the third quarter of 2020, as compared to a loss of RMB4.0 billion for the same period of last year.
- Net Income Attributable to Ordinary Shareholders and Non-GAAP Net Income Attributable to Ordinary Shareholders. Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB7.6 billion (US$1.1 billion), compared to RMB0.6 billion for the same period last year. Non-GAAP net income attributable to ordinary shareholders for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB5.6 billion (US$0.8 billion), compared to RMB3.1 billion for the same period last year.
- Diluted EPS and Non-GAAP Diluted EPS. Diluted net income per ADS for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB4.70 (US$0.69), compared to RMB0.41 for the third quarter of 2019. Non-GAAP diluted net income per ADS for the third quarter of 2020 was RMB3.42 (US$0.50), compared to RMB2.08 for the third quarter of 2019.
- Cash Flow and Working Capital: As of September 30, 2020, the company’s cash and cash equivalents, restricted cash and short-term investments totaled RMB126.7 billion (US$18.7 billion), compared to RMB64.5 billion as of December 31, 2019.
“Today, as China emerges from the pandemic, we are glad to see that our business partners are recovering rapidly with the support of our online and offline supply chain infrastructure. And our consumer mindshare continues to expand with over 100 million new active users joining our platform compared to a year ago,” said Richard Liu, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of JD.com. “In order to ensure superior customer experience and better serve our business partners, we continued to add new hires even against the backdrop of uncertainties arising from the COVID. We look forward to continuously leveraging JD’s leading supply chain-based technology and nationwide infrastructure for the benefit of the society.”
“We are pleased to set new records across many of our financial and operating metrics this quarter,” said Sandy Xu, Chief Financial Officer of JD.com. “We delivered robust topline growth across all of our product lines as well as record profitability driven by improved operating efficiency and the realization of scale benefits. With solid profitable growth as our basis, we will continue to invest in technology and infrastructure to enhance our user experience.”
The company is pleased to announce that JD Health has submitted the post hearing information pack (the “PHIP”) to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (“HKEX”) for publication on November 15, 2020, in connection with the proposed separate listing of JD Health in Hong Kong. The PHIP is now available for viewing and downloading from the HKEX’s website at www.hkexnews.hk. The proposed listing in Hong Kong is subject to, among other things, the approval from the listing committee of the HKEX, and the final decisions of the board of directors of the company and of the board of directors of JD Health. There is no assurance that such proposed listing will take place or as to when it may take place.
In October 2020, with the approvals of the company’s board of directors and the board of directors of JD Logistics and JD Health, each a consolidated subsidiary of the company, granted to Mr. Richard Qiangdong Liu, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the company, options to acquire 99,186,705 ordinary shares of JD Logistics and options to acquire 53,042,516 ordinary shares of JD Health (collectively, the “Grants”) according to the existing share incentive plan of each of JD Logistics and JD Health. The Grants were awarded to Mr. Liu to recognize his significant contributions to the development of JD Logistics and JD Health and to motivate him to continue leading the future success of JD Logistics and JD Health. The Grants by JD Logistics and JD Health are each subject to a six-year vesting schedule and each account for approximately 2% of the issued and outstanding shares of JD Logistics and JD Health as of October 31, 2020, as applicable. As of October 31, 2020, JD Logistics and JD Health had outstanding options to acquire more than 450 million and 90 million ordinary shares of JD Logistics and JD Health, respectively, to award and incentivize their respective senior management, employees and consultants.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on JD.com (JD) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Uber (UBER) to acquire interests in Cornershop in an all-stock transaction
- Middlefield Banc Corp. (MBCN) Announces CEO Retirement and Succession Plan
- Ocean Power Technologies (OPTT) Board appoints Philipp Stratmann as its new President and Chief Executive Officer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Earnings, Management Comments
Related EntitiesEarnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!