UPDATE: Upstart Holdings (UPST) Guidance Highlights Near-Term Headwinds - Atlantic Equities
- Wall St posts third straight quarterly loss as inflation weighs, recession looms
- Intel's Autonomous Unit Mobileye Files U.S. IPO, Defying Weak Market Conditions
- Nike (NKE) Drops 9% as Inventory Surges 44%, Analysts See Attractive Valuation
- Hollywood Super Agent Attempts to Open Door for Twitter-Musk Settlement - Bloomberg
- Dollar up on euro as quarter ends, commodity led currencies sink
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - August 11, 2022 11:29 AM EDT)
Shares of Upstart Holdings (NASDAQ: UPST) were cut to Underweight from Neutral at Atlantic Equities on Thursday, with the firm's price target lowered by $10 to $22 per share.
Analyst Simon Clinch said in a note that after weak second-quarter earnings, as preannounced, Upstart provided disappointing third-quarter guidance. Clinch stated the company's guidance highlights the ongoing severity of headwinds facing the business in the near term.
"More concerning to us is the fact that management has chosen to renege on its promise not to use its balance sheet to bridge future funding gaps - albeit only as temporary flexibility," wrote Clinch.
"Along with its intentions to reconfigure its institutional funding base to focus more on longer-term supply commitments, at a time when its core institutional and banking partners are increasingly worried about macro conditions and sub-prime lending, we conclude that risks to the business have increased meaningfully in the near-term. Our estimates fall again, with FY22 and FY23 adjusted EPS estimates declining 19.9% and 32.6% respectively. Maintaining our 15x multiple, we lower our target price to $22 and downgrade Upstart to Underweight as we wait to reach a bottoming of fundamentals," he added.
Upstart shares gained over 17% Wednesday but fell slightly on Thursday, down 0.6%. However, in 2022, they have declined by more than 77.8%.
By Sam Boughedda
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Here's What Wall Street Has to Say About Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) Stock After Earnings
- Intuit (INTU) 'Well Positioned' to Weather Current Storm According to Stifel Analyst
- JCDecaux SA (DEC:FP) (JCDXF) PT Lowered to EUR12.60 at Goldman Sachs
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot List
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!