Teens Show Strong Interest in Plant-Based Meat, Piper Sandler Survey Shows
- Tech stocks push S&P 500 to record close, buoy Nasdaq
- U.S. Calls for Pause of J&J (JNJ) Vaccine After Clotting Cases, Including One Death
- Coinbase (COIN) direct listing IPO reference price set at $250
- Biggest SPAC Deal Ever: Grab To Go Public in a $40 Billion Merger With Altimeter (AGC), Backed by Fidelity and BlackRock
- Oil rises after robust China data but J&J vaccine pause weighs
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Michael Lavery, a senior research analyst at Piper Sandler, raised the price objective for Beyond Meat (NASDAQ: BYND) after results from a recent teen survey showed a strong interest in plant-based meat.
According to the latest Piper Sandler Teen Survey, focused on almost 10,000 teen respondents, 47% either consume or are open to consuming plant-based meat.
“This suggests plant-based eating is more on-trend with younger consumers, which could drive growth over time as consumers age. Our teen survey results suggest Impossible and Beyond are the early leaders in plant-based meat brand awareness, as they had the most mentions among brands tried by teens,” wrote Lavery in today’s note to clients.
These results are in-line with Piper Sandler’s prior survey that found an inverse relationship between age and interest in consuming plant-based meat.
“Of the 9,825 teens we surveyed, 18% consume plant-based meat. These results are about in-line with our February 2020 all-ages survey, where 22% of respondents said they consume plant-based meat. Of the 82% of teens who have not yet tried it, 35% are open to trying it, while 65% are not open to trying it and prefer real meat. Of those who are open to trying it, 90% said they have not yet had a chance to try it, while 10% said it is too expensive for them”.
Moreover, 35% - of those who have not yet tried plant-based meat - is open to trying it for the first time. This is higher than 20% recorded in February.
“This suggests a greater openness to plant-based meat from younger consumers, which helps support our view that plant-based meat could grow to $6-8B by 2025 with perhaps 7-8% share of US meat sales”.
Beyond Meat ranks the second among plant-based meat brands as 33% teens said they tried their products. Impossible Foods ranks first with 37% brand mentions.
Elsewhere, Lavery takes note of a potential McDonald’s UK launch in the near future.
“Vegan Food UK recently reported McDonald's may launch a vegan cheeseburger in the UK using Beyond patties. We estimate distribution expansion with McDonald's is a ~$150M global revenue opportunity for Beyond, assuming it sources 5% of burger sales (details inside). The UK has on 3-4% of McDonald's restaurants, so while it is likely a modest sales opportunity, it could be a step towards a broader relationship with McDonald's over time,” the analyst added.
BYND's price objective is hiked from $130.00 per share to $178.00 by Lavery. However, he is maintaining a Neutral rating on the stock.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Beyond Meat® Announces Major Retail Expansions Throughout Europe
- UPDATE: CIBC Starts MAG Silver (MAG) at Neutral
- Air Canada (AC:CN) (ACDVF) PT Lowered to Cdn$29 at Scotiabank
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!