OpCo Thinks That Everybody but Citrix Benefits from the Dell/EMC Deal
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
Oppenheimer analyst, Ittai Kidron, thinks the Dell/EMC deal could have a far reaching impact on the storage and networking industries, affecting both large and small players. His thesis revolves around the following 4 points:
When it comes to storage, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), a serial acquirer has pursued a partnership strategy but that may change. Cisco now needs to re-examine its position in storage and possibly look to build out a portfolio of products. In the case of Cisco, this means acquisitions and possibly several of them. While the acquisitions would likely be small, they would be expensive and could cause a negative reaction from the street initially but longer term it would increase growth.
In the short term, winners would be NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) and HP’s Enterprise (NYSE: HPQ) (NYSE: HPE) business as Dell and EMC begin to combine and streamline. However, longer term, both would likely need to take steps to beef up the breadth of their data center product offerings.
The impact on these larger vendors, makes emerging storage companies more valuable and improves their ability to hire top talent. This list includes but is not limited to: Nimble (NASDAQ: NMBL), Nutanix, Pure (NYSE: PSTG), SimpliVity, Tegile, and Tintri. They could not only become prime acquisition targets but also see a lift in business activity as companies reexamine their vendor lists.
Citrix (NASDAQ: CTXS) could end up being the big loser if Dell/EMC take a more hands off approach to VMware (NYSE: VMW). More flexibility could improve VMware’s competitive position against Citrix and could finally be the catalyst that causes Mark Templeton to sell.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AstraZeneca (AZN) receives US clearance of proposed acquisition of Alexion (ALXN)
- D and Z Media Acquisition (DNZ) Said in Talks to Merge with Simplifi - Bloomberg
- EHang Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Unaudited Financial Results
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions, Rumors
Related EntitiesIttai Kidron, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!