Morgan Stanley Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight
- S&P 500, Nasdaq inch higher at open with Fed policy outlook in focus
- AI boom could continue to drive S&P 500 higher - Goldman
- Deutsche Bank, Wells Fargo expect US recession to start in Q4 2023
- Cathie Wood buys the dip in Coinbase shares amid SEC crackdown
- United Natural Foods (UNFI) cuts its forecast after FQ3 earnings miss; Shares crash 25%
Get Alerts TSLA Hot Sheet
28 Buy, 21 Hold, 10 Sell
Rating Trend: Down
Today's Overall Ratings:
Up: 11 | Down: 8 | New: 12
Join SI Premium – FREE
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley upgraded Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Equalweight to Overweight with a price target of $305.00 (from $242.00).
Analyst Adam Jonas comments "Adding 75k additional units of Model 3 to our 2018 estimate and nearly 100k units to our 2020 estimate results combined with the out-year impact adds a combined $81 to our Tesla target. Small offsets from the 4Q delivery pre announcement and higher capex takes our target to $305. Excluding the value of Tesla Mobility ($76/share) our price target would be slightly below the current share price. Over 100% of the upside to our $305 price target can be attributed to the value we ascribe to Tesla Mobility. We still apply zero value to Tesla from its recently completed acquisition of Solarcity and zero value for Tesla Energy."
Jonas' 4 key drivers of his upgrade are:
- We have revised Model 3 launch timeline and volume estimate, with a significant positive impact on earnings and our price target.
- The market is moving Tesla’s way on EVs.
- A recent pull back in efforts by tech firms to make complete vehicles represents a sea change in competitive pressure that we felt represented a great concern to Tesla over the past 2 years.
- Gigamerica: Tesla stands at the epicenter of US high tech manufacturing job creation which may benefit more than just symbolically under the new administration.
For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.
Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $238.36 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Yext shares rally 16% on earnings/guidance beat and analyst upgrade
- Global EV penetration reaches 14% in April with promising uptick in May
- Roth/MKM Upgrades YEXT Inc. (YEXT) to Buy, 'this mgmt. team is ready to fire on all cylinders'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Tesla, Earnings, Definitive Agreement, Model 3
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!