Jefferies Reiterates a Bullish Outlook for Small and Mid-Cap Equities
- Dow, S&P post worst week in months after hawkish Fed spooks investors
- Fed-fueled dollar rises as bears make for exits
- Adobe (ADBE) Edges Higher After Topping Q2 Estimates, Analysts Raise PT on 'Impressive' Performance
- Fed Statement Very Bullish for Tech Stocks, Focus on Cloud and Cyber Stocks - Wedbush
- You Fight Real Physical Inflation With Rate Hikes, Not Talk of Rate Hikes; Buy the Dip in Commodities, Gold Underpriced - Goldman Sachs
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
A team of analysts at Jefferies has reiterated a bullish outlook on small and mid-cap stocks. They believe there is enough room to grow and catch up following nearly 2 years of underperformance.
As these stocks have broadly been out of favor with investors since 2017, Jefferies says that “the recent bout of strong performance is only a small bounce back toward the longer-term trend.”
“While we continue to emphasize the opportunities within US equities, we particularly emphasize the sub-$30B space. Year-to-date, large caps have seen record flows, and performance, while up until recently small caps have been ignored. When comparing the SPX total market cap vs. the RTY, we found that the ratio sits near 20Y highs, and the RTY would need to grow by $700B in cap just to right-size the ratio vs. the L-T trend,” it is said in a note sent today.
One of the key drivers behind a call that small and mid-cap stocks will outperform is a belief that improving economic backdrop is likely to help smaller equities more than their large cap peers.
“We believe the gearing to an economic recover is on full display, and as Smid-cap Strategist Steven DeSanctis points out, small caps have beaten large coming out of each of the last 10 US recessions.”
Healthy balance sheets will likely yield higher M&A activity which should support the thesis that small and midcap companies outperform large cap peers when M&A activity accelerates, analysts wrote.
Jefferies highlights the list of following stocks in this category: AAN, AHCO, ALLK, BLMN, BURL, CAR, CCK, CSL, ELF, FLT, FND, KMT, LFUS, LKQ, LOCO, MEOH, ON, PAR, PLNT, PRAH, SAGE, SIX, SPR, STT, SYF, TVTY, TWNK, WAL and WETF.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Boeing (BA) Has Financial Risk Over T-7A Project Delay - Jefferies
- SThree Plc. (STHR:LN) (STREF) PT Raised to GBP5.40 at Jefferies
- Hays Plc. (HAS:LN) (HAYPF) PT Raised to GBP1.88 at Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!