Baird Identifies 3 Possible Surprises at Tesla's (TSLA) Upcoming Battery Day
- Nasdaq eyes record closing high as Powell testimony looms
- Sanderson Farms (SAFM) Explores Sale - Report
- Bitcoin (BTC) Cracks $30,000 to Hit 6-Month Low, Here Are Next Targets Lower
- Dollar edges higher before Powell; Bitcoin drops
- Splunk (SPLK) Lands $1 Billion From Silver Lake, Announces Buyback One Day After Activist Rumors Surface
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Baird analyst Ben Kallo reiterated a Neutral rating and $332.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) but highlighted the potential opportunity of an upcoming catalyst on September 22nd. The company will be hosting its Annual Shareholder Meeting but in conjunction with this, more importantly, its Virtual Battery Day which offers the possibility of three key catalysts:
- Unveiling a new, lower-cost battery cell that could potentially break the <$100/kWh level
- Revealing an internal manufacturing strategy to significantly ramp production capacity.
- While less likely, the company could also discuss future revenue streams related to batteries, including stationary energy storage management.
The company currently has a ~$13.5B war chest leading to speculation about capital investment and the great reveal. The analyst stated "Connecting the dots: expect TSLA to unveil a new low-cost (potentially enabling <$100/kWh battery) cell for use in Model 3 and Model Y, potentially produced at Gigafactory Texas. The company has reportedly built a “Tera battery manufacturing facility” near its Fremont plant, where it has developed a cell with 2x the diameter as the current 2170 cells used in the Model 3 and Model Y vehicles. Recent patent activity includes a new NCA electrode which is expected to enable a similar/better energy density to NMC batteries, and tabless electrodes, which is expected to improve manufacturing efficiency and is a “way bigger deal than it sounds,” according to Musk.
Shares of Tesla closed at $427.00 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- GLJ Research Trims Tesla (TSLA) Q2 Delivery Estimates, Raise FY21
- $274M in Insider Sales from Previously 2nd Most Important Person at Tesla (TSLA) Should Raise Eyebrows - GLJ Research
- Tesla (TSLA) looking at holding Tesla AI Day in about a month - Elon Musk
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments
Related EntitiesRobert W Baird, Tesla, Ben Kallo, Model 3
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!