Amazon's (AMZN) Twitch Is Bigger Than CNN - Macquarie
- Wall Street ends sharply higher, led by surging Dow
- Sanderson Farms (SAFM) Explores Sale - Report
- Amazon (AMZN) in Talks to Acquire Stake in Self-Driving Truck Startup Plus: Report
- Dollar dips after Fed rally, Bitcoin slumps
- 5 Companies Set to Hike Their Dividend Over the Next Few Weeks, 3 Dividend Aristocrats
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Macquarie analyst, Benjamin Schachter, reiterated his Outperform rating on shares of Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) after accumulating a year's worth of Twitch.TV viewing data. Now that the data is maturing, trends can be seen and comparisons can be made:
Perhaps the biggest revelation is that Twitch attracted more viewers than CNN. January average concurrent viewers on Twitch showed a record 962k, up 22% from January 2017, and up 26% from December. For comparison, 2017 total day viewership for Fox News Channel and ESPN was ~1.5mm, MSNBC was 885K, and CNN was 783K, putting Twitch squarely among the most-watched U.S. cable channels.
Turnover is an issue clouding the esports landscape. Less than 50% of games that ranked in the top 10 weekly rankings in Jan 17 also ranked in the top 10 in 2018. eSports as a whole is becoming a more concrete opportunity, but which games and genres will be the most popular/viewed eSports over time is unclear.
Previously unknown games from small publishers, PUBG and Fortnite (both in the battle royale genre) were the big gainers y/y. This is a reminder that new hits and genres can come out of nowhere.
So what does this mean for the stock? Display ads on Amazon.com properties like Twitch are a meaningful contributor to Other revenue and rapidly growing (58% in 2017) to $4.65B which could lead to a very substantial, high margin, profit generator.
No change to the price target of $1,750.
Shares of Amazon.com closed at $1386.23 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Amazon (AMZN) is in Talks to Buy Stake in AI Truck-Driving Startup Plus - Bloomberg
- ANA Holdings Inc (9202:JP) (ALNPY) PT Raised to JPY3,000 at JPMorgan
- Keihan Holdings Co Ltd (9045:JP) PT Lowered to JPY4,300 at JPMorgan
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!