Sibanye Gold Limited (SBGL) Affirms Four Injuries at Cooke Operations
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Sibanye Gold Limited (NYSE: SBGL) confirms that four employees were injured by unknown assailants in the early hours of this morning at its Cooke operations. Two of the four employees were seriously injured and are being treated at local hospitals. The incidents are related to illegal industrial action which started yesterday, following a union membership verification dispute.
The membership verification process, agreed with the unions at the Cooke Operations and facilitated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA), commenced two weeks ago and is still ongoing. Despite management engaging with the unions and repeatedly explaining the procedure, a group of employees, embarked on illegal protest action during the night shift on Monday 3 October 2016.
“It is regrettable that AMCU has taken this course of action when all employees were fully appraised of the verification process. We are concerned about the acts of intimidation and violence and call upon all union members to respect the rights of other employees who wish to work. We are in discussions with AMCU to resolve their concerns. The assault of Sibanye employees is unacceptable and we are investigating these incidents and will take strong action against the perpetrators. We call on the unions to ensure that their members show restraint”, commented Neal Froneman, CEO.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- TransCanada (TRP) Announces Receipt of FERC Approval to Construct Leach XPress, Rayne XPress Projects
- Atmos Energy (ATO) Announces Departure of CFO Bret Eckert
- PPG Industries (PPG) Names Vincent Morales to CFO
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Litigation, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!