Esperion Therapeutics (ESPR) Announces Publication of Bempedoic Acid Data in LDL-C
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Esperion Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ESPR) announced the publication of “Liver-specific ATP-citrate lyase inhibition by bempedoic acid decreases LDL-C and attenuates atherosclerosis,” by Stephen L. Pinkosky et al. in Nature Communications, available at: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13457. The paper systematically outlines the experiments and analyses undertaken by Esperion and its collaborators to fully understand the mechanism of action for how bempedoic acid reduces LDL-C.
Bempedoic acid is a pro-drug that requires activation to the CoA form to inhibit adenosine triphosphate (ATP) citrate lyase, an important enzyme on the cholesterol biosynthesis pathway. The specific enzyme required for this activation was identified as acetyl-CoA synthetase long chain 1 (ACSVL1), found in the liver but not found in skeletal muscle. Since bempedoic acid has no activity in skeletal muscle there is minimal risk for the muscle-related adverse events that have been associated with the use of statins.
Importantly, ATP citrate lyase (ACL) inhibition, mediated by bempedoic acid, results in decreased cholesterol biosynthesis, up regulation of LDL receptors, and reduction in LDL-C levels. In addition, bempedoic acid also reduced the progression of atherosclerosis in preclinical models.
“We are pleased that the research conducted by our scientific team on the liver-specific mechanism of action for bempedoic acid has been recognized in Nature Communications, a journal whose prestige speaks to the high quality of our science and research. Bempedoic acid targets ACL, the key differentiating feature of the molecule and has also been shown to complement the effects of statins, which target HMG-CoA reductase,” said Tim Mayleben, president and chief executive officer of Esperion Therapeutics. “The publication of these results will provide the scientific and medical communities information to better understand both how bempedoic acid reduces elevated LDL-C, and why bempedoic acid appears to be associated with minimal risk for the muscle-related adverse events that have been associated with the use of statins.”
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Ono Enter Settlement and License Agreement with Merck (MRK) to Resolve PD-1 Antibody Patent Litigation
- AIG (AIG) Enters Reinsurance Agreement with Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) Unit
- Texas Instruments (TXN) Names Todd Bluedorn to Board of Directors
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!