UK minister says told Nissan he will emphasize common ground with EU
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Britain's Business Secretary Greg Clark speaks at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham, Britain October 3, 2016. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
LONDON (Reuters) - The British government made several assurances to Japanese carmaker Nissan <7201.T> before last week's announcement it would build two new models in Britain, business minister Greg Clark said on Monday.
The decision to build the models at Britain's largest car plant, rather than elsewhere in Europe, was won with what a source described as a government promise of extra support to counter any loss of competitiveness caused by Britain leaving the EU.
Clark said several assurances had been important in securing Nissan's investment, including efforts to ensure more of the automotive supply chain is located in Britain, and pushing for free trade with the EU in upcoming Brexit negotiations.
"In our negotiations to leave the EU, we will emphasize the very strong common ground that there is, especially in the automotive sector, between ourselves and other EU member states, in ensuring that trade between us can be free and unencumbered by impediments," he told parliament.
(Reporting by Wililam James and Kylie MacLellan; editing by Stephen Addison)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- OPEC, Russia see smooth road to global deal on output cut
- Murdoch's new Sky bid should be probed says former UK minister
- Egyptian court rejects appeal by Islamist militant Adel Habara over death sentence