Two Boston policemen wounded in gunfight, gunman shot dead
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Two Boston policemen were in critical condition early on Thursday after they were shot in a gunfight with a man who was shot dead by other police officers, police said.
Other officers responding to the incident on the city's East Side shot and killed the man who was armed with an assault rifle and wearing a ballistic vest, Police Department Commissioner William Evans told a news conference.
"Domestic calls are probably the most volatile. You never really know what you are walking into," he said.
The shooting took place inside a house in the Orient Heights neighborhood at about 11 p.m. local time, the Boston Police Department tweeted.
One of the officers was shot several times and the other officer was shot once or twice. Both were in "extremely critical" condition at a local hospital, Evans said.
Nine other officers, who had dragged their wounded colleagues out of the house, were being treated for minor injuries and trauma at another hospital, he said.
Police did not identify the gunman or the wounded officers, one of whom had been with the police department for about 28 years and the other for about 12 years, police said.
(Reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Louise Ireland)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UK PM May: I will tell Trump when I find something unacceptable
- Women lead unprecedented worldwide mass protests against Trump
- Syrian army and allies take village from Islamic State
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!