Spain, Italy seize hashish worth $2 million, arrest 19 alleged drug smugglers
- Wall Street dips as Verizon drags; AmEx curbs losses
- AT&T (T) Said to Discuss Idea of Takeover in Time Warner (TWX) Meetings
- UPDATE: Qualcomm (QCOM), NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) Deal Could be Announced Next Week - Bloomberg
- Tesla (TSLA) Announces Self-Driving Hardware for All Vehicles in Production; Includes Model 3
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Tops Q4 EPS by 8c; Guides FY17 EPS
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Spanish and Italian police seized 3,300 kilograms of hashish worth $1.98 million from a boat off the Italian coast and arrested 19 Polish members of an international drug smuggling ring, Spanish authorities said on Wednesday.
The operation, carried out jointly by police from Spain, Poland, Italy and Britain, targeted a organization that was based in the Spanish province of Granada that trafficked drugs between Morocco and mainland Europe, a statement said.
The 19 men were from one of four major crime groups in Poland, which police said had been involved in assassinations, theft and extortion. The group's leader was among those arrested, the statement said.
The Europol-coordinated operation followed a series of anti-drug raids earlier in August in southern Spain that resulted in 23 arrests and over 1,000 kilograms of hashish seized. Among those arrested were another 12 Poles, seven Spaniards and two Ukrainians.
(Reporting by Catherine Bennett; editing by Angus Berwick/Mark Heinrich)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- BlackRock says its ETF business crosses $100 billion sales mark
- Spanish court overturns Catalonian bull-fighting ban
- Baylor University faces U.S. probe over response to sex assaults
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!