Man charged in possible murder of five-year-old Minnesota girl
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
(Reuters) - Police in Minnesota arrested a man on probable cause of murder and kidnapping after a 5-year-old girl was found dead near his family's cabin, authorities said.
The girl, Alayna Ertl, of Watkins, about 50 miles northwest of Minneapolis, went missing from her home early on Saturday. House guest Zachary Anderson, 25, was gone as well, along with an Ertl family car, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said in a statement on Sunday.
Sheriff's deputies found the vehicle in Cass County, where Anderson's family had a cabin. Anderson was arrested about a quarter-mile from the house, and Alayna's body was found in a wooded area nearby.
A preliminary autopsy by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office said that the girl died from "homicidal violence," the statement said.
In an interview with Minneapolis' KARE-11 television, Meeker County Sheriff Brian Cruze described Anderson as a family friend and a co-worker of Alayna's father who had been spending the night.
Anderson, a resident of Coon Rapids, is being held on probable cause of murder and kidnapping, the Department of Public Safety statement said.
(Reporting by Ian Simpson in Washington)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Deutsche Boerse-LSE merger make markets healthier: Blackrock
- Indian girls win award for tricking traffickers and busting cross-border racket
- Senior Canada military officer suspended from duty, no reason given
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!