Euro zone consumer confidence edges higher in September
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
A visitor walks past an escalator at the Printemps department store in a shopping district in Paris, France, November 23, 2015. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Euro zone consumer confidence rose as expected in September, data showed, ending a three-month fall and indicating consumer concern over the economic outlook as a result of Britain's vote to quit the EU could be easing.
The European Commission estimated the consumer confidence indicator rose to -8.2 points in September from -8.5 points in August, confirming economists' expectations. In the wider European Union of 28 countries, confidence improved by 1.3 points to -6.4 points, a Commission statement said.
"September’s slight increase in euro zone consumer confidence reinforces belief that the UK’s Brexit vote is not weighing markedly on euro zone economic activity for now at least," IHS Global Insight economist Howard Archer said.
"The situation could change in 2017 when the UK likely formally starts divorce proceedings."
(Reporting by Jan Strupczewski; editing by Mark Heinrich)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- U.S. allies caution Trump on Syria strategy
- Trump's threats chill corporate investment plans in Mexico
- Massachusetts man sentenced for threats to bomb schools in four states
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!