EU's Oettinger says Trump's first remarks were 'at least wise'
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
- JPMorgan (JPM) Reports Q4 EPS of $1.71
Guenther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, speaks during the welcome night at the world's biggest computer and software fair CeBit in Hanover, Germany, March 14, 2016. REUTERS/Nigel Treblin
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BERLIN (Reuters) - Europe must give U.S. President-elect Donald Trump a chance to continue the transatlantic partnership and the Republican's first remarks after his election victory were "at least wise", European Commissioner Guenther Oettinger said on Thursday.
"Of course we're disappointed and surprised by the outcome, but we have to accept this," Oettinger told German broadcaster Deutschlandfunk.
He added Europe should give Trump and his "hopefully professional team" a chance to continue the transatlantic partnership based on shared values.
The German commissioner said the U.S. election campaign had been characterized by fierce rhetoric, lack of respect and lies.
"Now we have to see if there'll be a fresh start and the first remarks by Trump were at least wise," he added.
(Reporting by Michael Nienaber; Editing by Nick Macfie)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- VW charges in U.S. breach German constitution, says defendant's lawyer
- Q&A: Sallie Krawcheck has a new game plan for women at work
- U.S. retail sales boosted by auto demand; producer prices climb
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!