Chevron profit drops on weak oil price, but beats forecasts
- Wall Street dips as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- Western Union (WU) Admits Anti-Money Laundering and Consumer Fraud Violations, Forfeits $586M in Settlement
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- Apple (AAPL) PT Raised to $140 at BofA/Merrill Lynch; iPhone 8 Will be 'Super-Long' Cycle
- Morgan Stanley Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight
The logo of Chevron (CVX) is seen in Los Angeles, California, United States, April 12, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson/File Photo
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
HOUSTON (Reuters) - Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX) reported a drop in quarterly profit on Friday that still beat expectations as cost cuts in the company's U.S. oil production division helped mitigate some of the impact of low crude prices
The company posted a third-quarter net income of $1.28 billion, or 68 cents per share, compared with $2.04 billion, or $1.09 per share, in the year-ago period.
Excluding one-time items, Chevron earned 49 cents per share during the quarter. By that measure, analysts expected earnings of 37 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Earnings at Chevron's upstream arm, which produces oil and natural gas, jumped more than sevenfold as costs in the United States dropped and tax expenses fell.
Chevron's refining arm saw profit drop more than 50 percent as margins dropped both within and outside the United States.
Production fell about 1 percent to 2.5 million barrels of oil equivalent per day.
Shares of Chevron rose 0.6 percent to $100.51 in premarket trading.
(Reporting by Ernest Scheyder; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Union Pacific (UNP) Tops Q4 EPS by 6c
- KeyCorp (KEY) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c
- Check Point Software Technology (CHKP) Tops Q4 EPS by 21c
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesEarnings, Reuters
Related EntitiesCrude Oil, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!