Qualcomm (QCOM): Apple Not Developing Basebands, Says Analyst
- Top 10 News for 4/25 - 4/29: Merger Madness!; Valeant Hies New Boss; Icahn's Exit of Apple Could be Telling Sign
- Wall Street falls as earnings weigh; Dow, S&P up for month
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Tops Q1 EPS by 49c; Issues Q2 Outlook
- Exclusive: Yahoo's bidder shortlist points to cash deal -sources
- Yen posts biggest weekly gain since 2008, stocks slip
"There has been recent speculation in the press about Apple developing their own baseband chipset (digitimes, April 7). We dismissed this early, and felt most others would as well given the herculean task of building a multimode baseband from scratch. As most who follow the wireless industry understand, building a multi-mode baseband is not about R&D dollars," said Modoff .
"Sure dollars will help, but it also takes time, at least five years by our count, top-notch talent leading the effort and about 1000 engineers in total – well short of the 30 positions Apple currently has posted. Instead of an organic baseband development, we believe Apple is rather trying to realize better integration with existing baseband chipsets and their apps processor, or possibly developing their own internal WiFi chipset. We reiterate our Buy on Qualcomm, as we do not feel that this recent press report affects Qualcomm’s long term prospects," he added.
Shares of Qualcomm closed at $78.01 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Gilead Sciences (GILD) Needs M&A to Fill the Gap Following HCV Miss - BMO Capital
- Seagate (STX) PT Cut to $25 at Baird
- Dunkin Donuts (DNKN) SSS To Improve by End of 2016 - RBC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!