Qualcomm (QCOM): Apple Not Developing Basebands, Says Analyst
- Top 10 News for 8/25 - 8/29: S&P 500's New Record; U.S. Q2 GDP Outpaces Views; Major Mergers Aplenty
- AIG's (AIG) Peter Hancock Assumes CEO Role; Benmosche Becomes Advisor
- Pressure on U.S. to Update Terror Alert System After U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level
- American Airlines Group (AAL)/Orbitz Worldwide (OWW) Reach Agreement; American Airlines Back on Orbitz Sites
- FTC Requests Additional Info from Reynolds American (RAI), Lorillard (LO) on Pending Deal
"There has been recent speculation in the press about Apple developing their own baseband chipset (digitimes, April 7). We dismissed this early, and felt most others would as well given the herculean task of building a multimode baseband from scratch. As most who follow the wireless industry understand, building a multi-mode baseband is not about R&D dollars," said Modoff .
"Sure dollars will help, but it also takes time, at least five years by our count, top-notch talent leading the effort and about 1000 engineers in total – well short of the 30 positions Apple currently has posted. Instead of an organic baseband development, we believe Apple is rather trying to realize better integration with existing baseband chipsets and their apps processor, or possibly developing their own internal WiFi chipset. We reiterate our Buy on Qualcomm, as we do not feel that this recent press report affects Qualcomm’s long term prospects," he added.
Shares of Qualcomm closed at $78.01 yesterday.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Microchip's (MCHP) Bid for CSR Puts Atmel (ATML) In Play - Needham & Company
- UPDATE: Stifel Nicolaus Starts 3D Systems (DDD) at Buy; Analyst Sees H2 Rebound
- UPDATE: Williams-Sonoma (WSM) Momentum Slowing; Morgan Stanley Downgrades to Equalweight
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!