Qualcomm (QCOM): Apple Not Developing Basebands, Says Analyst
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
"There has been recent speculation in the press about Apple developing their own baseband chipset (digitimes, April 7). We dismissed this early, and felt most others would as well given the herculean task of building a multimode baseband from scratch. As most who follow the wireless industry understand, building a multi-mode baseband is not about R&D dollars," said Modoff .
"Sure dollars will help, but it also takes time, at least five years by our count, top-notch talent leading the effort and about 1000 engineers in total – well short of the 30 positions Apple currently has posted. Instead of an organic baseband development, we believe Apple is rather trying to realize better integration with existing baseband chipsets and their apps processor, or possibly developing their own internal WiFi chipset. We reiterate our Buy on Qualcomm, as we do not feel that this recent press report affects Qualcomm’s long term prospects," he added.
Shares of Qualcomm closed at $78.01 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Qualcomm (QCOM), Microsoft (MSFT) Enter Collaboration for Windows 10 on Snapdragon-Powered Mobile Devices
- Argus Downgrades Sonoco Products (SON) to Hold
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Casey's General Stores (CASY) Following 2Q Earnings Report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!