Piper Jaffray Upgrades SM Energy (SM) to Overweight Amid 'Transformational' Permian Basin Deal
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Simmons & Company upgrades SM Energy (NYSE: SM) from Neutral to Overweight and moves its price target from $38 to $50.
Analyst Pearce Hammond commented today:
We are upgrading SM Energy (SM) to Overweight from Neutral due to their transformational Permian acquisition combined with an attractive valuation. One of the complaints against SM over the past few years was the depth of quality inventory which contributed to a below peer group cash flow multiple. We believe the recent Midland Basin acquisition provides the company ample inventory to start closing the valuation gap with peers. In addition, we see SM as a "self help" story (similar to what we have seen with QEP and WPX, both of which were very well received by investors) whereby the company is refashioning their asset portfolio. We expect SM to sell their non-operated Eagle Ford position which should provide capital for them to develop their Midland Basin assets. SM offers nearly 30% upside to our revised PT/NAV and trades at ~5.9x '17 EV/EBITDAX vs. peers (CRZO, QEP, WPX) at 8.6x.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Raises Rating on CBOE Holdings (CBOE) to 'Overweight'; Analyst Thinks Bats Technology Will Drive Greater Trading Activity
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Zumiez, Inc. (ZUMZ) to $23 Following 3Q
- Pivotal Research Downgrades Kroger (KR) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Upgrades
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!