National Instruments (NATI) Tops Q1 EPS by 12c, Revenues Miss; Affirms Q2 EPS Guidance Above Consensus, Provides Q2 Revenue Views
National Instruments (NASDAQ: NATI) reported Q1 EPS of $0.30, $0.12 better than the analyst estimate of $0.18. Revenue for the quarter came in at $311 million versus the consensus estimate of $321.27 million.
- Revenue of $311 million, flat year over year, with increased backlog of $10 million
- GAAP gross margin of 76 percent and non-GAAP gross margin of 78 percent
- GAAP net income of $23 million, down 4 percent year over year
- Non-GAAP net income of $40 million, up 21 percent year over year
- Fully diluted GAAP EPS of $0.17, and fully diluted non-GAAP EPS of $0.30 which was at the midpoint of the company\'s guidance
- EBITDA of $42 million
- Cash and short-term investments of $480 million as of March 31, 2019
- Cash flow from operating activities of $277 million for the twelve months ended March 31, 2019, up 27 percent year over year
- 1.035 million shares of common stock repurchased at approximately $45 per share
“I am proud of the team’s execution in the first quarter, despite the weakened industrial economy, especially in Europe. We delivered record Non-GAAP net income for a first quarter, up 21 percent year-over-year,” said Alex Davern, NI CEO. “We remain focused on our long-term strategy and we believe we are well positioned to deliver record non-GAAP net income in 2019.”
Karen Rapp, NI CFO, said, “I am pleased with our earnings performance in Q1. With NI’s culture of operational efficiency, we were able to deliver a 21 percent year over year increase in non-GAAP net income on flat revenue. We believe our strong gross margins remain a testament to the value of our brand and the benefits our platform provides to our customers. In Q1, we returned almost $80 million to our shareholders through dividends and stock repurchases. We remain focused on key industries where we believe our platform is best suited to take advantage of major technology disruptions.”
National Instruments sees Q2 2019 EPS of $0.28-$0.42, versus the consensus of $0.24. National Instruments sees Q2 2019 revenue of $326-356 million, versus the consensus of $347.03 million.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on National Instruments (NATI) click here.