TI's breakthrough BAW resonator technology paves the way for high-performance communications infrastructure and connectivity
DALLAS, Feb. 27, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) announced today new bulk acoustic wave (BAW)-based embedded processing and analog chips for the next generation of connectivity and communications infrastructure. The first two devices developed with TI BAW technology, the SimpleLink™ CC2652RB wireless microcontroller (MCU) and the LMK05318 network synchronizer clock will help system designers streamline design logistics for faster time to market, while enabling stable, simplified and high-performance data delivery, which in return, allows for potential overall development and system cost savings. For more information about the CC2652RB, please visit www.ti.com/simplelink-baw-pr. For more information about the LMK05318, please visit www.ti.com/ct-baw-pr.
Communications and industrial automation systems with discrete clocking and quartz-crystal devices can be costly, time-consuming and complicated to develop and are often susceptible to environmental stress. The new devices with TI BAW resonator technology integrate reference clocking resonators to provide the highest frequency in a small form factor. This higher level of integration improves performance and increases resistance to mechanical stresses, such as vibration and shock. As a result of stable data transmission enabled by TI BAW technology, data synchronization of wired and wireless signals is more precise and allows for continuous transmission, which means data can be processed quickly and seamlessly to maximize efficiency.
At embedded world 2019, TI is demonstrating how designers working on data transfer, building and factory automation, and grid infrastructure equipment can take advantage of this technology to develop higher performing systems while minimizing system cost, size and design complexity.
Key features and benefits of the SimpleLink™ multi-standard CC2652RB wireless MCU
- Reduced overall footprint: As the industry's first crystal-less wireless MCU on the market, the CC2652RB integrates a BAW resonator within the quad flat no-lead (QFN) package, eliminating the need for an external high-speed 48-MHz crystal.
- Simplified design: The CC2652RB is the lowest power multi-standard device supporting Zigbee®, Thread, Bluetooth® low energy and proprietary 2.4-GHz connectivity solutions on a single chip. Enabling more design options and flexibility in a wider range of applications and environments, the CC2652RB works in the full -40°C to 85°C temperature range, unlike many crystal-based solutions currently on the market.
Key features and benefits of the ultra-low jitter single-channel LMK05318 network synchronizer clock
- Higher network performance: Featuring a BAW resonator, TI's new single-channel network synchronizer clock for 400-Gbps links helps systems transmit more data faster while also providing higher margin for system jitter budgets than competing devices. With ultra-low jitter and the industry's best hitless switching performance, the LMK05318 delivers the lowest bit errors for 56-Gbps and emerging 112-Gbps pulse-amplitude modulation-4 links – enabling better network performance.
- Intuitive design: With no in-system programming required, simplified power-supply requirements and a reduced bill-of-materials (BOM) for ancillary components, the LMK05318 streamlines the printed-circuit-board design phase compared to competing solutions while offering increased clocking performance.
Package, availability and pricing
Preproduction samples of the CC2652RB are now available through the TI store in a 7-mm-by-7-mm very thin QFN (VQFN) package. Pricing starts at US$3.55 in 1,000-unit quantities. Developers can get started with the SimpleLink CC2652RB wireless MCU-based TI LaunchPad™ development kit available through the TI store.
The LMK05318 is now available in production quantities through the TI store and authorized distributors in a 48-pin, 7-mm-by-7-mm VQFN package. Pricing starts at US$11.44 in 1,000-unit quantities. Developers can evaluate this device with the LMK05318 evaluation module, available today for US$399.00 from the TI store and authorized distributors.
Learn more about TI BAW technology and products
- For more information on TI BAW technology and products, visit www.ti.com/baw.
- Read our Think.Innovate blog, "Tiny technology, global impact: TI BAW resonator breakthrough creates new electronic heartbeat".
- Explore the top 5 things to know about TI BAW technology.
- Are you ready for BAW? Find out in our short technical article.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping approximately 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SimpleLink and LaunchPad are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tis-breakthrough-baw-resonator-technology-paves-the-way-for-high-performance-communications-infrastructure-and-connectivity-300802929.html
SOURCE Texas Instruments