Broadcom Completes Industry's First End-to-End 5G Mobile Networking Switch Portfolio
Company’s Aggregation, Access and Front-haul Switches are Specially Designed to Meet the Stringent Requirements of 5G
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 25, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Broadcom Inc. (NASDAQ: AVGO), today announced the completion of its 5G switching portfolio, designed to enable the deployment of end-to-end networks that consolidate all radio and fixed-line traffic onto a standard, Ethernet-based infrastructure. The six devices that make up this portfolio – Monterey, Quartz, Qumran2a, Jericho2, Jericho2c and Ramon – are designed for switches with capacities greater than 100 Tbps and offer the complete feature set needed to meet the stringent performance demands of new Ethernet-based 5G New Radios (NR) and base stations. The 5G build-out is expected to require an increase in capacity of the mobile network by a factor of ten or more along with a simultaneous tightening of key requirements for each segment of the network – front-haul, mid-haul, and backhaul. Broadcom’s mobile networking chips are purpose-built to address the needs of each segment:
- For front-haul applications, the Monterey and Quartz devices provide low latency, CPRI mapping, nanosecond-precision synchronization and IEEE 802 Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) support.
- For the mid-haul segment, Qumran2a offers an optimum feature set that includes network slicing, nanosecond-precision synchronization, TSN and FlexE interfaces compliant with the specifications of Sliced Packet Network (SPN) and ITU G.mtn.
- For backhaul environments, Jericho2, Jericho2c and Ramon enable low-latency, TSN-enabled switching platforms that scale to over 100 Tbps and support a full 5G feature set, thus allowing seamless integration with Qumran2a-based mid-haul networks.
All products in this portfolio share a set of common application programming interfaces (APIs) with other Broadcom switching products via the Broadcom Software Development Kit (SDK), thus minimizing development effort and accelerating system introduction. The devices in this portfolio have been designed to work seamlessly together to meet the cost, capacity and performance requirements of 5G, and their availability as merchant silicon will significantly improve supply-chain economics and enable new business models.
“The completion of this product portfolio is a key milestone on the road to 5G,” said Ram Velaga, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Switch Products Division at Broadcom. “The availability of a complete chipset for end-to-end 5G networks will allow network operators and their suppliers to develop and deploy future-proof infrastructure in a timely and cost-effective way. Today’s announcement not only solidifies Broadcom’s position as a market leader in carrier-class radio networking components, it also demonstrates our deep commitment to 5G innovation and strategic R&D investment.”
Key Features and Benefits of Broadcom’s 5G Switching PortfolioTo address the wide range of bandwidth and technical requirements for 5G networks, Broadcom has developed a comprehensive portfolio of products with a broad range of features. Each device in the portfolio implements an optimal subset of these features to address the needs of a particular node in the network:
- Nanosecond-scale Synchronization – Integrated, high-resolution synchronization that is compliant with 5G specifications
- CPRI-to-Ethernet Bridging – CPRI encapsulation, which enables direct connection to LTE radios
- IEEE Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) – Protects high-priority traffic from interference by lower-priority background traffic
- Hierarchical Network-slicing – Provides service isolation in converged networks
- Sliced-packet Networking (ITU-T G.mtn) – Controls latency and jitter for end-to-end services
- IP/MPLS Transport – Scalable, protocol-independent solution for carrier networks
- Ultra-fast Switching – Minimizes per-hop latency for critical traffic
- Scalability – Extensive set of options scaling up to 50 Tbps in switching capacity
- Merchant Silicon – Enables new supply-chain economics and enables new business models
For more information on Monterey, Quartz, Qumran2a, Jericho2, Jericho2c or Ramon, please contact your Broadcom sales representative or visit www.broadcom.com.
About BroadcomBroadcom Inc.(NASDAQ: AVGO) is a global technology leader that designs, develops and supplies a broad range of semiconductor and infrastructure software solutions. Broadcom’s category-leading product portfolio serves critical markets including data center, networking, software, broadband, wireless, storage and industrial. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, and Avago Technologies are among the trademarks of Broadcom. The term "Broadcom" refers to Broadcom Inc., and/or its subsidiaries. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Press Contact:Jennifer MiuCorporate Communicationspress.email@example.com