Applied DNA Sciences (APDN) Misses Q3 EPS by 5c, Revenues Miss
Applied DNA Sciences (NASDAQ: APDN) reported Q3 EPS of ($0.10), $0.05 worse than the analyst estimate of ($0.05). Revenue for the quarter came in at $1 million versus the consensus estimate of $2.75 million.
- Revenues decreased 43% for the third quarter of fiscal 2018 to $1.0 million, compared with $1.8 million reported in the third quarter of fiscal 2017, and remained flat as compared to revenues for the fiscal second quarter ended March 31, 2018. The year-over-year decrease in revenues is primarily attributable to shipments relating to the initial order of $1.2 million in our cotton vertical for the upcoming ginning season being recorded in deferred revenue at June 30, 2018 due to extended payment terms. This decrease was offset by an increase in revenues from feasibility pilots in pharmaceutical and cannabis industries.
- Deferred revenue increased to $2.3 million as of June 30, 2018 as compared to $352 thousand at September 30, 2017. The reason for this increase is due to the initial cotton order of $1.2 million noted above as well as fees paid for a variety of contracts that include specific milestones and therefore were not able to be fully recognized as revenue during the quarter ended June 30, 2018.
- Total operating expenses were $3.6 million, compared with $4.2 million in the prior year’s quarter, a decrease of approximately 13%. The decrease in year-over-year total operating expenses is primarily attributable to a decrease in stock-based compensation expense of $328 thousand and bad debt expense of $343 thousand.
- Net loss for the quarter ended June 30, 2017 was $2.9 million, or $0.10 per share, compared with a net loss of $2.6 million, or $0.10 per share for the same period in the prior fiscal year and a net loss of $2.1 million, or $0.07 per share for the first fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2018.
- Excluding non-cash expenses, Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter ended June 30, 2018 was negative $2.5 million, compared to negative Adjusted EBITDA of $1.5 million for the same quarter last fiscal year and negative Adjusted EBITDA of $2.3 million in the prior fiscal quarter. See below for information regarding non-GAAP measures.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on Applied DNA Sciences (APDN) click here.