Joi Ito of MIT Media Labs to Deliver Keynote Address at #DisruptMining Finale
KPMG to Co-Host #DisruptMining, Supported by Strong Roster of Sponsors
- Over 100 submissions received for #DisruptMining challenge
- Keynote address at the #DisruptMining finale event by Joi Ito, Director of MIT Media Labs and recognized amongst the world's foremost visionary thinkers, writers and speakers on technology
- KPMG to co-host #DisruptMining Finale gala as part of their efforts to pave the way for the future of mining
- Hard-Line, a 2017 #DisruptMining semi-finalist, leads a strong roster of sponsors from a variety of industries
- Export Development Canada partners with #DisruptMining to help top applicants grow their businesses internationally
VANCOUVER, Feb. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ - GOLDCORP INC. (TSX: G, NYSE: GG) ("Goldcorp") is pleased to announce that Joi Ito, director of the MIT Media Lab and professor of the Practice of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT, will deliver the keynote address at the #DisruptMining finale on March 4, 2018 during the annual Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) Conference. Ito is an entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and a visiting professor of law from practice at the Harvard Law School. He was an early investor in Twitter, Flickr and Kickstarter and is amongst the world's foremost visionary thinkers on technology.
In his talk, the head of the MIT Media Lab will skip future predictions and instead share new approaches to creating in the moment: to build quickly and improve constantly, without waiting for permission or for proof that you have the right idea. This kind of bottom-up innovation is seen in the most fascinating, futuristic projects emerging today and, according to Ito, it starts with being open and alert to what's going on around you right now. Don't be a futurist, he suggests: be a "now-ist."
KPMG to co-host #DisruptMining
Goldcorp welcomes KPMG as a co-host of #DisruptMining. The KPMG partnership demonstrates their dedication and determination to help pave the way for the future of mining.
"What does it mean to be the official co-host of #DisruptMining? At KPMG, it means thinking and doing differently. We are excited to promote a challenge that encourages the mining industry to embrace innovation, be champions of change and pave the way for the future of mining," stated Elio Luongo, KPMG CEO.
Strong roster of sponsors across various industries line up to support #DisruptMining
Hard-Line has signed on as the #DISRUPTOR sponsor of #DisruptMining. As a leading automation control system manufacturer for heavy equipment, its submission to #DisruptMining in 2017 earned a semi-finalist spot in the innovation expo. Being involved in the challenge accelerated the company's innovative technology, leading to a partnership with Goldcorp and the deployment of autonomous and semi-autonomous technology at several of its mines. "In keeping with our constant drive for innovation and developing world leading automation for the global mining industry, Hard-Line is proud to be a #DISRUPTOR level sponsor at this year's #DisruptMining event. Our continued partnership with Goldcorp has allowed our company to grow and prosper, and by sponsoring this great competition we anticipate excellent game-changing ideas from this year's competitors," stated Walter Siggelkow, president of Hard-Line.
Other major sponsors include:
- Epiroc is a leading productivity partner for the mining, infrastructure and natural resources industries. With cutting-edge technology, Epiroc develops and produces innovative drill rigs, rock excavation and construction equipment and provides service and consumables.
- IBM Canada is partnering with Goldcorp to accelerate geological exploration powered by advanced technologies like AI, machine-learning and cloud enabling geologists to identify and predict patterns and geological models with more certainty leading to increased accuracy in defining gold mineralization.
- Sandvik Mining & Rock Technology is a leading supplier of mining equipment, tools and system solutions.
- ePower Metals Corp is focused on advancing a high-quality portfolio of cobalt and other projects that have the potential to supply the growing rechargeable battery sector.
- FLSmidth is the market-leading supplier of productivity to the global mining and cement industries.
- Macquarie Group is a global provider of banking, financial, advisory, investment and funds management services with industry-leading expertise in metals and mining.
- Microsoft Canada Inc. is helping mining companies around the world transform their operations across multiple technology pillars including IoT, Mixed Reality, AI, data visualization and cloud infrastructure to allow them to lead with innovation in this rapidly evolving industry.
- Newtrax is a leading provider of safety and productivity solutions to the global underground hard rock mining industry.
- Rockwell Automation is the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation and information and includes a specialized line of products and solutions for mining.
- The Chemours Company is a leading producer and supplier of chemical products, dedicated to safety and efficiency in precious metals ore processing.
Export Development Canada (EDC) champions innovation in miningEDC helps Canadian companies go, grow, and succeed in their international business. As a financial Crown corporation, EDC provides financing, insurance, bonding, trade knowledge and matchmaking connections to help Canadian companies sell and invest abroad. EDC can also provide financial solutions to foreign buyers to facilitate and grow purchases from Canadian companies.
#DisruptMining is an innovation accelerator designed to encourage new technologies and ideas to solve some of the biggest opportunities and challenges in mining. Over 100 submissions were entered into #DisruptMining 2018, representing completely new ideas and disruptive technologies that will benefit the entire mining industry. Semi-finalists and finalists will be notified by February 5, 2018.
On March 4, 2018, during the annual Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) conference, semi-finalists will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas at the innovation expo, the largest innovation-focused networking event at PDAC. The three #DisruptMining finalists will pitch their competing ideas at the live "shark-tank" style gala in front of a panel of industry titans. They will have the opportunity to negotiate up to $1 million in investment1 for a proof of concept at one of Goldcorp's mines or direct investment in the winning technologies. All proceeds from the #DisruptMining finale event will be invested in the future of the mining industry through innovation-focused scholarships.
To purchase tickets for the gala event or register for the innovation expo, please visit www.disruptmining.com.
About Joi Ito
Joi Ito is the director of the MIT Media Lab, Professor of the Practice at MIT and the author, with Jeff Howe, of Whiplash: How to Survive Our Faster Future (Grand Central Publishing, 2016). He is chairman of the board of PureTech Health and serves on several other boards, including The New York Times Company, Sony Corporation, the MacArthur Foundation and the Knight Foundation. He is also the former chairman and CEO of Creative Commons, and a former board member of ICANN, The Open Source Initiative, and The Mozilla Foundation. Joi is a serial entrepreneur who helped start and run numerous companies including one of the first web companies in Japan, Digital Garage, and the first commercial Internet service provider in Japan, PSINet Japan/IIKK. He has been an early-stage investor in many companies, including Formlabs, Flickr, Kickstarter, littleBits, and Twitter. He has received numerous awards, including the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Oxford Internet Institute and the Golden Plate Award from the Academy of Achievement, and he was inducted into the SXSW Interactive Festival Hall of Fame in 2014. Ito has been awarded honorary doctorates from The New School and Tufts University and is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
About Goldcorp www.goldcorp.com
Goldcorp is a senior gold producer focused on responsible mining practices with safe, low-cost production from a high-quality portfolio of mines.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Certain disclosures in this document constitute forward-looking statements, including the timing and completion of the #DisruptMining expo and live finale. In making the forward-looking statements, the Company has applied certain factors and assumptions that are based on the Company's current beliefs as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Company, including that the Company is able to execute the challenge in accordance with the terms described herein. Although the Company considers these assumptions to be reasonable based on information currently available to it, they may prove to be incorrect, and the forward-looking statements are subject to numerous risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause future results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in such forward-looking statements. Such risk factors include, among others, those matters identified in its continuous disclosure filings, including its most recently filed MD&A. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. The Company does not intend, and expressly disclaims any intention or obligation to, update or revise any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Investment not guaranteed, and/or investment may be allocated among two or more of three Finalists; exact level of investment, if any, is at Goldcorp's sole discretion and subject to completion of appropriate due diligence.
SOURCE Goldcorp Inc.