Leading Businesses Rely on Cloudera for Machine Learning to Drive IoT Innovation
NEW YORK, Sept. 28, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- STRATA DATA -- With billions of sensors, smart machines and connected devices generating data every second, the Internet of Things (IoT) is placing unprecedented demands on organizations' data storage, processing and analytic capabilities. Cloudera (NYSE: CLDR), the modern platform for machine learning and analytics, optimized for the cloud, announced that more enterprises across an array of sectors are turning to Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub to power their IoT journey, generate actionable insights and as a result, disrupt their own industries.
Cloudera is enabling real-time data insights and predictive analytics to help companies use IoT to drive operational efficiencies, introduce new products and services, improve the customer experience and create wholly new business models. Customers today are increasingly utilizing components such as Apache Kudu and Apache Spark to drive real-time processing, machine learning, and analytics on all of their IoT data, including data in motion and data at rest.
"Organizations who use machine learning and analytics to deliver new insights from the explosion of IoT data, have enormous power to disrupt entire industries," said Tom Reilly, chief executive officer at Cloudera. "Our customers are using insights from real-time IoT data to make positive change in the world in many ways such as building smarter, more energy efficient cities, feeding the world's growing population using less water, saving human lives from deadly infections, reducing maintenance downtime of expensive machinery, and developing self-driving autonomous vehicles."
Customers Drive IoT Innovation and Industry Transformation with Cloudera Enterprise Data HubToday, Cloudera is powering a diverse set of innovative IoT use cases across industries around the world. Some key use cases include:
- Predictive Maintenance - Enterprises in asset-intensive industries such as manufacturing, automotive, oil & gas, shipping, and utilities are using Cloudera as the data management and advanced analytics platform to drive IoT-enabled predictive maintenance and predict equipment failures. Cargotec, the leading cargo and load handling solutions provider, is using IoT data to develop a digitally connected ecosystem of cargo handling equipment in order to improve operational efficiencies and drive predictive maintenance.
- Industrial IoT - Some of the leading industrial organizations, including the global heavy equipment manufacturer, Komatsu, are using IoT data to continuously monitor some of the largest mining equipment and assets to ultimately improve mine performance and efficiencies, even in some of the world's most remote regions and harshest conditions.
- Connected Vehicles - A number of automotive manufacturers, including Navistar, manufacturer of commercial and industrial vehicles and trucks, is using Cloudera to offer their new service of processing and analyzing IoT data to monitor 325,000 trucks in real time to minimize downtime and enable predictive maintenance.
- Telematics & Usage Based Insurance - Cloudera is effectively powering usage-based insurance services for a number of leading insurers globally.Octo Telematics, the leader in telematics and data analytics for the auto insurance industry is using Cloudera to harness the power of IoT by analyzing 11 billion data points from five million connected cars every day to personalize insurance rates, detect crashes, improve the claims process and enhance customer relationships.
- Energy and Utilities - Cloudera is powering IoT and predictive analytics use cases for some of the global leaders in the energy and utilities space across their business value chain -- from drilling and exploration to production, generation, distribution and monitoring. For instance, one of the world's leading integrated electricity and gas operators, based in Europe, is using Cloudera to process and analyze streaming data from millions of smart meters and connected homes supporting differing energy distribution needs for multiple countries.
- Smart Cities & Connected Infrastructure - Some of the leading public service entities, government agencies, and state departments are using Cloudera and the power of IoT to raise the efficiency of public services, improve safety and security and improve the citizen experience. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC), for example, is using streaming data from connected salt trucks and snowplows in order to drive efficiencies into the snow removal process and winter weather management operations. They are able to aggregate 8.6 million records every 24 hours and process more than a million records per second to keep roads clear and drivers safe.
- Healthcare IoT - A global leader in healthcare technology, Cerner, has developed an electronic alert system to monitor patient symptoms in key areas. Data is sent to a central hub in the cloud where evidence-based algorithms alert physicians to patients who may be at risk.
- Retail IoT - In-store shopping behavior and analytics company, Shoppermotion, is using IoT data in real time to transform the in-store customer experience.
- Agriculture & Farming - Agricultural IT provider, mesur.io, is using IoT data to unveil new insights that impact small farm production levels and increase environmental sustainability.
Growing Customer MomentumThe use of Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub for IoT has been transformative across industries by innovative customers, such as Cargotec; Cerner; DocBox; Kentucky Transportation Cabinet; Komatsu; mesur.io; Navistar; Octo Telematics; Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin Company; and Shoppermotion.
Soili Mäkinen, chief information officer at Cargotec, a leading provider of cargo and load handling solutions:"It is our goal to be a leader in intelligent cargo handling by 2020. With our scalable IoT platform, powered by Cloudera, we can offer our customers data-based insights that many of these industrial companies have never seen before. We use IoT data and machine learning to help customers recognize how their cargo handling equipment is performing in different weather conditions, understand how usage relates to failure rates, and even detect anomalies in transport systems."
Anthony Reid, senior manager of Analytics at Komatsu, a leading global heavy equipment manufacturer: "With increasing customer demand and more connected machines, we were looking at data growth reaching 30 terabytes per month. Our former environment limited our ability to scale, grow and innovate. With Cloudera's modern platform, we use advanced data analytics and machine learning to power our IIoT success. We now provide customers with better recommendations on machine utilization and deliver services faster."
Mike Prorock, founder and chief technology officer at mesur.io, the company transforming agriculture, golf and turf management, mining and vineyard management:"mesur.io is disrupting the agriculture industry by fundamentally changing the way the world measures and interacts with environmental data. Our goal is to connect actionable information with the people who need it–make lives easier, work more efficient, food more abundant and water more available. To provide growers with a cost-effective, complete picture of the environment, mesur.io architected an IoT platform running on Cloudera Enterprise to power Earth's largest climate-aware network, fundamentally changing the way the world measures and interacts with environment data."
Ashish Bayas, chief technology officer at Navistar, a leading manufacturer of commercial trucks, buses, defense vehicles and engines:"As a company nearly two centuries old, we are proud of our digital transformation and the momentum we have built in the marketplace. We use real-time IoT data to frame essential business decisions and deploy predictive maintenance to manage customers' fleets. This innovation has opened up new revenue streams for our business and added service offerings and value for our customers, while transforming the vehicle manufacturing industry."
Gianfranco Giannella, Chief Operating Officer at Octo Telematics, leading global provider of telematics and data analytics solutions for the auto insurance industry:"At Octo Telematics, we are utilizing the power of IoT data analytics to transform the insurance industry and improve customer safety and experience. With Cloudera, we are able to effectively store, process, analyze, drive intelligence and predict outcomes from more than 170 billion miles of driving data and approximately 400,000 severe crashes from over five million cars."
Jorge García Bueno, chief executive officer at Shoppermotion, in-store shopping behavior and analytics company:"Shoppermotion is changing the way in-store offline marketing is done, the way online marketing did when Google Analytics for websites appeared back in 2005. Shoppermotion is using IoT and its proprietary mapping technology that enables brands and retailers to better understand and capitalize on in-store shopper behavior. With Cloudera Enterprise, Shoppermotion is able to turn massive behavior analysis into actionable insights to help retailers understand in-store consumer behavior in real time and revolutionize the retail shopping experience."
Industry Recognition for IoT InnovationCloudera was recently recognized with an Ovum IoT Futures Award for Cerner's IoT innovation and TDWI 2017 Best Practices Award for Navistar's IoT business transformation.
- Stop by Cloudera Booth #225 at Strata Data New York to learn more about open source architectures for IoT
- Read about Cloudera's data management platform for IoT
- Learn more about why leading enterprises around the globe rely on Cloudera for IoT
- Check out the new Cloudera Data Science Success Kit that includes Data Science Workbench bundled with world class professional services
- Listen to any of our onDemand webinars:
- Simplifying Real-Time Architectures for IoT with Apache Kudu
- IoT-Enabled Predictive Maintenance provided jointly with Tata Consultancy Services
- IoT - Data Management Trends, Best Practices & Key Use Cases with Christian Renaud of 451 Research
- Peruse Cloudera's gallery of IoT customer success stories and videos featuring: Cerner; DocBox; Komatsu; mesur.io; Navistar; Octo Telematics; Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin Company; and Shoppermotion
About ClouderaAt Cloudera, we believe that data can make what is impossible today, possible tomorrow. We empower people to transform complex data into clear and actionable insights. We are the modern platform for machine learning and analytics optimized for the cloud. The world's largest enterprises trust Cloudera to help solve their most challenging business problems. Learn more at cloudera.com.
Connect with ClouderaAbout Cloudera: cloudera.com/more/about.htmlRead our VISION blog: vision.cloudera.com/ and Engineering blog: blog.cloudera.com/Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/clouderaVisit us on Facebook: facebook.com/clouderaSee us on YouTube: youtube.com/user/clouderahadoopJoin the Cloudera Community: community.cloudera.com/Read about our customers' successes: cloudera.com/more/customers.html
Cloudera, Hue and associated marks and trademarks are registered trademarks of Cloudera, Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the expected performance and benefits of Cloudera's offerings. The words "believe," "may," "will," "plan," "expect," and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If the risks materialize or assumptions prove incorrect, actual results could differ materially from the results implied by these forward-looking statements. Risks include, but are not limited to, risks described in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including our Form S-1 Registration Statement, and our future reports that we may file with the SEC from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. Cloudera assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leading-businesses-rely-on-cloudera-for-machine-learning-to-drive-iot-innovation-300527295.html
SOURCE Cloudera, Inc.