Swiss open mass vaccination centres in Geneva and Lausanne
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
- Coinbase (COIN) To Add Dogecoin Trading in the Next Few Weeks
FILE PHOTO: Staff prepare a COVID-19 vaccination center as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues at the Palexpo in Geneva, Switzerland, April 15, 2021. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
GENEVA (Reuters) - Switzerland expanded its capacity to inoculate people against COVID-19 on Monday, opening mass vaccination centres in cities including Geneva and Lausanne.
The number of cases has continued to steadily rise in the Alpine country over the past weeks. It increased by 4,905 since Friday, according to figures https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/overview?ovTime=total published on Monday, taking the total to 637,304, with 16 additional deaths.
A large vaccination centre opened at Palexpo in Geneva, a convention centre that normally hosts the annual International Motor Show, cancelled this year and last due to the pandemic.
"The centre opens today with a capacity of 2,000 vaccinations per day and as soon as we're able to increase that, it can quickly go to 3,000 or 4,000 shots per day, that is huge," cantonal doctor Nathalie Vernaz told Reuters.
In Lausanne, the largest centre in the canton of Vaud opened at Palais de Beaulieu, which aims to vaccinate 14,000 people a week, a statement said.
(Reporting by Denis Balibouse, writing by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Former Italian PM Berlusconi slips out of hospital unseen
- Italian study shows COVID-19 infections, deaths plummeting after jabs
- Ex-Golden Dawn member extradited to Greece to start jail term
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!