Police car in Tacoma, Washington, smashes through crowd watching street racers
- S&P 500, Dow climb for third day and close at records
- Tesla (TSLA) China Numbers 'Robust' - Wedbush
- Apple (AAPL) Shares Seen as 'Attractive' as Recent Checks Show Continuously Strong Demand - Citi
- Amazon.com warehouse workers vote to reject forming union in Alabama
A person lies on the ground after a police officer drove a vehicle into a crowd in Tacoma, Washington, U.S. January 23, 2021 in this still image taken from social media video. CORY LE via REUTERS
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
(Reuters) - A Tacoma Police vehicle plowed through a group of pedestrians swarming it, knocking several people to the pavement, after authorities responded to reports of drag racers in the Washington city's downtown, online video showed early on Sunday.
One person was hurt, although the severity of the injuries was unclear, according to local media.
The short video, which was shot by an onlooker just before 7 p.m. local time on Saturday and later posted online, shows cars with squealing tires turning donuts on downtown streets. Then the Tacoma Police patrol car - surrounded by people - surges forward, knocking roughly five people to the ground before driving off.
Tacoma Police spokeswoman Wendy Haddow said police were alerted to the street racers and a 100-person crowd blocking area streets, according to the News Tribune. When the patrol car responded, the crowd began pounding on the vehicle's windows, she told local media.
“He was afraid they would break his glass,” Haddow told the News Tribune, saying the officer sped away from the scene for his own safety.
One person was injured in the incident and taken to a local hospital, she said.
Haddow did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
(Reporting by Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Egypt, Sudan reject Ethiopian proposal for data sharing on Renaissance dam
- Italy reports 344 coronavirus deaths on Saturday, 17,567 new cases
- Diners at clandestine Paris soiree fined for lockdown breaches