Kamala Harris to speak with Guatemalan president on Monday
- Wall Street ends with broad sell-off on spiking inflation fears
- Bitcoin Falls as Musk Says Tesla (TSLA) Will Suspend Vehicle Purchases Using Bitcoin, Citing Use of Fossil Fuels in Mining
- Fed Has Already Changed its Policy Due to Inflation, Market Gambling Fears - Dick Bove
- U.S. consumer prices post largest gain since 2009 as inflation ramps up
- Bill Ackman said has he been working on a transaction for Pershing Square Tontine (PSTH) for months
U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris listens as President Joe Biden speaks about the status of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccinations and the administration's ongoing COVID-19 pandemic response in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the White H
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
By Nandita Bose
(Reuters) -Vice President Kamala Harris will meet virtually on Monday with Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei to discuss solutions to the increase in migration to the U.S. border with Mexico, a White House official said on Wednesday.
Harris will visit the region in June, the official added.
The vice president said last week that she intended to visit Mexico and Guatemala soon as part of her plan to use diplomatic efforts to slow the migration.
Reuters reported this week that the visit could happen in as soon as a month.
"They will discuss working together to address immediate relief needs of the Guatemalan people as well as deepening cooperation on migration," the White House official said of the discussion with Giammattei.
President Joe Biden, who has moved away from predecessor Donald Trump's hardline immigration approach, gave Harris the job of leading U.S. efforts with Mexico and Central America's Northern Triangle countries - Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala - to stop migrants from crossing into the United States.
On Tuesday, Harris will participate in a virtual roundtable with representatives from Guatemalan-community based organizations, the official said.
Harris last spoke with Giammattei on March 30.
(Reporting by Nandita Bose in Washington and Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Schmollinger and Peter Cooney)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- When Biden meets Putin: old foes could cool off but not reset
- Ukrainian prosecutors want to set bail at $10.8 million for Kremlin ally in treason case
- Italy fines Google $123 million for abuse of dominant position
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!