Ex-Golden Dawn member extradited to Greece to start jail term
- Tesla lifts Nasdaq to record high
- Bitcoin (BTC) Recovers to $34,000 as Analysts Insists Crypto Winter Won't Repeat Again
- Dollar slips after Fed's Powell downplays inflation fears
- Cathie Wood's ARK Buys ~$77M in Bitcoin-Related Securities Yesterday on Dip
- Microsoft (MSFT) Price Target Raised to 'Street High' $325 at Wedbush as Cloud Story Is Not Slowing Down
FILE PHOTO: Greek Member of the European Parliament and a former member of Golden Dawn Ioannis Lagos attends the trial of leaders and members of the Golden Dawn?in a court in Athens, Greece, October 12, 2020. REUTERS/Costas Baltas
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
ATHENS (Reuters) -A former member of Greece's extreme right Golden Dawn party, Ioannis Lagos, was extradited to Athens on Saturday from Brussels, where he was a member of the European parliament.
EU lawmakers stripped Lagos of his immunity last month, paving the way for his arrest and extradition to Greece where he is to serve a prison sentence alongside other party members.
"For Orthodoxy and Greece, every sacrifice is worth it," Lagos shouted at reporters as he was brought handcuffed before an Athens prosecutor.
The leaders of Golden Dawn, who were often seen giving Nazi-style salutes, were sentenced to prison in October by a Greek court for running a criminal gang linked to hate crimes during the country's economic crisis.
Government spokeswoman Arostotelia Peloni said Greece had "fought and eliminated the toxic poison of Golden Dawn. The rule of law stood firm against criminals".
Six former lawmakers, including Lagos and Golden Dawn leader Nikos Mihaloliakos, were given 13-year jail terms.
Lagos had escaped arrest in October by leaving for Brussels the day the verdict was announced.
(Reporting by Karolina Tagaris. Editing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Treasury's Yellen: Hoping to get G20 endorsement for global minimum tax
- Former DNC chair Perez announces bid for Maryland governor
- French court overturns ruling saying sale of cannabidiol is illegal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!