SoftBank Backs Coinbase Rival FTX US to Raise $400 Million at $8 Billion Valuation
- Wall Street rallies, snaps longest weekly losing streak in decades
- 'Always Bet on Michael': Dell (DELL) Stock Soars After Crushing Estimates, Analysts Say Results are Impressive
- Credit Suisse Says Tesla (TSLA) Stock Offers an Attractive Entry Point, Sees Nearly 60% Upside From Here
- Citi Downgrades US Equities to Neutral on Recession Risk
- Elon Musk Says Recession Could Last 12 to 18 Months, But 'Actually a Good Thing'
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Cryptocurrency exchange FTX US announced it has secured $400 million in its first external funding round, taking the company’s valuation to $8 billion and making it one of the highest-valued crypto firms. FTX US is a subsidiary of FTX crypto exchange, a major rival of Coinbase (NASDAQ: COIN).
Investors who participated in the funding include Temasek, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, and SoftBank’s Vision Fund 2.
The funding round underscores the investors’ appetite for the growing digital asset industry, in spite of a recent sharp drop in crypto prices.
The world’s two biggest cryptocurrencies Bitcoin and Ether have lost nearly half of their value since reaching all-time highs last fall, while altcoins have taken even a larger fall.
Brett Harrison, President of FTX US, said the recent events in the crypto market indicate how crypto is still a very “volatile asset class.”
“Volatility cuts both ways,” Harrison said. “With all of the large upturns that we’ve seen in crypto, we have to expect that there are going to be downturns as well. And we’re definitely in that period right now.”
FTX US said its average daily volumes on the platform rose by 7x in 2021, hitting over $800 million in November Bitcoin touched its latest record high.
The exchange handled more than $67 billion in spot crypto trades in 2021 and has about 1.2 million registered users at the moment. The company hopes the latest funding round will help it make it a stronger rival to other similar companies such as Coinbase and Robinhood.
By Senad Karaahmetovic | [email protected]
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Says Crypto Winter Likely Won't Materialize, Sees 30% Upside Potential in Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Moxian, Inc. (MOXC) Provides Update on Status Under Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act
- Tesla (TSLA) PT Lowered to $1,050 at Jefferies, 'When it rains, it pours'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPrivate Company News, Private Equity
Related EntitiesTemasek Holdings, Bitcoin, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!