Roswell Park Experts Share Insights on Diagnosis and Treatment of Head & Neck Cancers at AHNS 2021
- S&P ends modestly lower as rising Treasury yields offset robust retail data
- Electronic Arts (EA) Rebounds on Reaffirmed Guidance Despite Battlefield 2042 Delay, Be Concerned But Not Worried Says Analyst
- U.S. retail sales surprise to upside in strong boost to economy
- Chat Platform Discord Raises $500 Million, Valuation More Than Doubled In Less Than a Year
- Dollar index climbs after U.S. retail sales show surprise rebound
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (PRWEB) July 26, 2021
Team outlines strategies to improve treatment of oral and thyroid cancers at American Head & Neck Society meeting
- Team presents 17 studies at International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer
- Deep look at tumor microenvironment suggests new ways to treat oral cancers
- 3 Roswell Park presentations focus on thyroid cancer detection and diagnosis
- The team used immunohistochemical analyses to (1) characterize a type of regulatory T cell that supports tumor growth and impedes immunotherapy and (2) analyze tumor expression of the NY-ESO-1 antigen in oral cavity dysplasia and carcinoma, showing that presence of this protein increased during tumor development. (Abstract P020 and Abstract P038)
- For another study, the team examined the role that exosomes -- small vesicles secreted by tumor cells -- play in interfering with chemotherapy and immunotherapies, demonstrating that they increase in abundance as cancer progresses. (Abstract P031)
- Core needle biopsy, the diagnostic tool used most frequently in Roswell Park's head/neck cancer practice, correctly diagnosed thyroid cancer and identified an especially aggressive subtype, tall cell variant (TCV) papillary thyroid carcinoma, more frequently than an alternative diagnostic approach, fine needle aspiration (FNAC). (Abstract P203)
- TCV papillary thyroid carcinoma has been diagnosed more frequently among patients seen at Roswell Park, compared to national incidence rates, and this aggressive subtype requires close post-treatment surveillance. (Abstract P172)
- Lectins, naturally occurring proteins present in many plant-based foods, represent a promising biomarker candidate that may be able to help distinguish different subtypes of thyroid cancer to support the most appropriate and personalized treatment strategies for each individual patient. (Abstract P136)
"We're seeing increasing numbers of aggressive thyroid cancers in our practice at Roswell Park," says Vishal Gupta, MD, Assistant Professor of Oncology and Otolaryngology in the Department of Head & Neck/Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Roswell Park. "Through this trio of studies, we're working to quickly identify, characterize and address this apparent trend to help guide treatment and follow-up for patients with especially aggressive or hard-to-diagnose thyroid tumors."
Many Roswell Park physicians, staff and fellows contributed to this work, including head-and-neck surgeons Dr. Hicks, Dr. Gupta, Jon Michael Chan, MD, Michael R. Markiewicz, DDS, MPH, MD, Ryan McSpadden, MD, Kimberley Wooten, MD, Moni Abraham Kuriakose, MD, and research scientists William Magner, PhD, and S. Lynn Sigurdson, PhD.
An online version of this is available on our website.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center is a community united by the drive to eliminate cancer's grip on humanity by unlocking its secrets through personalized approaches and unleashing the healing power of hope. Founded by Dr. Roswell Park in 1898, it is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in Upstate New York. Learn more at http://www.roswellpark.org, or contact us at 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355) or ASKRoswell@RoswellPark.org.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Compañía General de Combustibles S.A. Announces the Commencement of the Exchange Offer for up to U.S.$40,000,000 principal amount of its Outstanding 9.500% Notes due 2021
- PetroTal Announces Completion of 8H Horizontal Well With Record Production of Nearly 8,000 Barrels of Oil Per Day
- RollinGreens Secures Win For QVC's Best Plant-Based Food Award, And Gears Up For The National Launch Of Their New Plant-Based ME'EAT SKU's
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPress Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!