Tripadvisor's Fall Finds: City Breaks and Solo Trips Hot This Season
- Wall St eyes higher open as investors cheer rate cut prospects
- Stocks will be hostage to earnings delivery in 2024 rather than yields - JPMorgan
- General Motors (GM) surges on $10 billion buyback plan, increased dividend
- Bill Ackman sees risk of hard landing if Fed doesn't start cutting soon
- Bonds bask in talk of Fed interest rate cuts
Tripadvisor's Seasonal Travel Index Outlines Traveler Sentiment and Insights for
Although the popular summer vacation season is coming to a close, travel doesn't appear to be fading with it: 74% of American travelers surveyed report they will travel this fall, well above the 61% planning to travel at the same time last year. Similarly, over half (52%) plan to travel more than they did last fall and only 3% will travel Iess.
On trend with increased travel is a rise in international trips. While 65% of
Same cities, new ways to explore
City breaks are most popular with travelers this fall, as familiar favorites in
Most Popular International Destinations for Americans This Fall
- Most booked experience: Bateaux Parisiens Seine River Gourmet Dinner & Sightseeing Cruise
- Most booked experience:
Chichen Itza, Cenote and Valladolid All-Inclusive Tour
- Most booked experience: Skip-the-Line Group Tour of
the Vatican, Sistine Chapel & St.Peter's Basilica
- Most booked experience: Stonehenge,
Windsor Castle, and Bathfrom London
- Most booked experience: Half-Day Adventure: 4x4 ATV, Water Cave and Dominican Culture At Punta Cana
- Most booked experience: Sunset Cruise with Open bar and Snacks In
Cabo San Lucas
- Most booked experience:
Tulum Ruins, Turtles in Akumaland Cenote tour
- Most booked experience: Fast Track Sagrada Familia Guided Tour
- Most booked experience: Aruba Pub Krawl Tour
- Most booked experience: Small-Group Wine Tasting Experience in the Tuscan Countryside
For those staying stateside, the ever-popular
Little Torch Key, Florida Indian Rocks Beach, Florida Miami Springs, Florida Hawley, Pennsylvania Carefree, Arizona Reno, Nevada Cape Canaveral, Florida Holmes Beach, Florida Rutherford, California Indio, California
Solo travel on the rise
Over one-quarter (26%) of American travelers surveyed will take a solo trip this autumn. This is well above the global total of 15% as well the 17% who reported traveling solo last fall. While the reasons behind this trend may vary, it is a sign that travelers are more comfortable to journey alone and want to fully immerse themselves in the local culture. For solo explorers looking for great places to visit, Tripadvisor has recent guides on the best places to travel solo in the world, as well as across the
Americans most excited about their trips
When asked how they feel about their upcoming trip, 78% of Americans reported being excited and 70% responded "happy," both being well above global totals of 64% and 60%, respectively, for these positive emotions.
This is despite the fact that their trips will be more modest than their international counterparts: Americans are most likely to take trips 2-4 nights in length, well below totals of other countries who will average 5+ nights. Notably, Boomers are more likely to take 5+ day trips compared to other age groups. Americans also over-index in reporting to stay in vacation rentals and with friends and family (versus hotels) and are more likely to be flexible when choosing a destination (60%) than the global population of respondents (48%).
With fewer trips on average, Americans are eager to maximize those trips. Thus,
Tripadvisor Tip: "Our first-party data shows that travelers are still focused on the near-term, as most trips being booked right now are for one month out, and the vast majority for 2023. However, the advanced planners booking their 2024 trips now are far more likely to be going internationally. With two in five travelers looking to make the most of seasonal discounts as cost of living continues to rise, taking a page out of the early planner's book can yield savings: If you've yet to book your fall trip, the beginning of November is the most affordable time to visit some of the most popular destinations this season." –
Other key drivers among
- Money matters:
- Over half of travelers surveyed (54%) plan to spend more on travel this upcoming season compared to the same period last year.
- 37% said macroeconomic factors will change how they travel over the next three months (64% due to higher cost of living due to inflation, 50% change in financial circumstances due to the economy).
- Most important trip factor is cost/affordability (62%).
- Trip type:
- Most travelers plan to visit one to two cities while on their trip.
- 47% of Americans will travel by plane (below global total of 54%), 40% by car (well above 27% global average) and only 3% by train.
- Travelers plan to take: 1-2 trips (65%), 3-5 trips (25%), or 6+ trips (10%) this fall.
- Main purpose of upcoming trip: make memories (52%), followed by relax/rejuvenate (49%).
- Most travelers will prioritize food while on their trip (67%), which aligns with food generating the most excitement. Younger groups are more likely to prioritize food, nightlife, and shopping.
- 49% of Americans have booked or plan to book restaurant reservations in advance, with local options being the most popular: 54% will book a local fine dining restaurant, and 52% a local casual restaurant.
- Nearly two-thirds of Americans (64%) fill in the rest of their trip by deciding in the moment depending on how they're feeling, followed by travel websites and apps.
- Overall, travelers mainly get around via walking or public transport once they get to their destination. Car transportation (personal, rental rideshare) is more popular among
- Most plan their upcoming trip one to six months in advance. Millennials are less likely to plan things under a month in advance compared to other age groups.
- Younger travelers (Gen Z, millennials) are more than twice as likely to book or plan to book a reservation in advance compared to other age groups (53% vs. 21%, on average).
- 61% of respondents book their activities prior to their trip beginning, with almost a quarter booking four or more weeks before their trip. Boomers are more likely to book four plus weeks in advance on their upcoming trip (41% vs. 19%, on average).
- Gen Z and millennials are more likely to feel negative emotions (i.e., cautious, overwhelmed, anxious) compared to older generations.
The data cited in this release was gathered and analyzed from three key sources:
- A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 2,400 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between
June 20 - July 1, 2023across six countries, including Australia, Italy, Japan, Singapore, U.K.& U.S.
- Site behavioral data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform, gathered between
June 1 - July 8, 2023, for searches made by travelers in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Japan, and Singaporefor travel between September 1 - November 30, 2023.
- Tripadvisor internal data,
July 1-31, 2023.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 1 billion reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type. The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly,
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tripadvisors-fall-finds-city-breaks-and-solo-trips-hot-this-season-301918357.html
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- SoFi selects Blockchain.com as its first digital asset partner
- Proteus Capital Solutions Announces Sale of KeyLogic Technologies to System One
- Galorath Selects Walt & Company as Public Relations Agency of Record
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPRNewswire, Press Releases
Related EntitiesNeedham & Company
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!