Milliman analysis: Public pensions' funded ratio hits new high at 79.0% in Q1 2021
- S&P 500, Dow end at record highs as weak jobs data eases rate worries
- U.S. Added Only 266,000 Jobs in April, Well Below Estimates
- Roku (ROKU) Surges After Crushing Profit Estimates to Prompt an Upgrade to 'Buy' at Loop Capital
- Dollar broadly weaker after U.S. jobs data disappoint
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
COVID impact still unclear, but Milliman PPFI plans' investment performance of 1.95% boosts funded status by $12 billion
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
SEATTLE, April 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Milliman, Inc., a premier global consulting and actuarial firm, today released the first quarter 2021 results of its Public Pension Funding Index (PPFI), which consists of the nation's 100 largest public defined benefit pension plans.
In 2021, public pensions have continued their strong recovery from a year prior, with the funded status of the Milliman 100 plans increasing to 79.0% as of March 31, up from 78.6% at the end of December 2020 and 66.0% in Q1 2020. The Q1 2021 funded ratio is the highest recorded in the history of Milliman's Public Pension Funding Study.
"While 2021 has proven to be a strong year for public pensions so far, there are still lingering questions around the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on these plans," said Becky Sielman, author of Milliman's Public Pension Funding Study. "The past year has seen workforce volatility and strain on state budgets which could put downward pressure on funding in the future."
During Q1 2021, we estimate the PPFI plans had an aggregate investment performance of 1.95%, boosting the PPFI funded status by $12 billion. Individual plans' estimated investment returns ranged from -0.95% to 4.79%. Thirty-one plans now stand above the 90% funded mark, while at the lower end of the spectrum 22 plans remain under 60% funded.
To view the Milliman 100 Public Pension Funding Index, go to http://www.milliman.com/ppfi/. To receive regular updates of Milliman's pension funding analysis, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About MillimanMilliman is among the world's largest providers of actuarial and related products and services. The firm has consulting practices in healthcare, property & casualty insurance, life insurance and financial services, and employee benefits. Founded in 1947, Milliman is an independent firm with offices in major cities around the globe. For further information, visit milliman.com.
SOURCE Milliman, Inc.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- 26 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Mobilized Through Global Citizen's VAX LIVE: The Concert To Reunite The World From Governments, Philanthropists & The Private Sector Plus An Additional $302m For
- Green drive scales new peaks
- Inceptio Technology Released Truck Autonomous Driving System "XUANYUAN", L3 Trucks Will Start Mass Production by the End of 2021
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPRNewswire, Press Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!