Akamai Research: Rampant Abuse of Zero-Day and One-Day Vulnerabilities Leads to 143% Increase in Victims of Ransomware
- S&P 500 and Nasdaq notch highest closes since early 2022
- U.S. economy adds 199,000 jobs in November
- Fed should 'lowball' rate cuts expectations next week says analyst after strong jobs data
- Bernstein's best idea for 2024? Short Tesla stock
- Analysts defend Broadcom as annual guidance falls short after FQ4 earnings beat
Ransomware Groups Have Evolved Tactics; File Exfiltration Now Primary Source of Extortion
According to the report, adversaries are evolving their methods and techniques from phishing to put a greater emphasis on vulnerability abuse. As these adversaries shift tactics, LockBit has dominated the ransomware landscape, from Q4 2021 to Q2 2023, with 39% of total victims - more than triple the number of victims of the second-highest ranked ransomware group. Further analysis shows that the CL0P ransomware group is aggressively developing Zero-Day vulnerabilities, growing its victims by 9x year over year.
Of all vertical industries, manufacturing saw a 42% increase in total victims between Q4 2021 and Q4 2022, underscoring the potential threat to global supply chains. LockBit was responsible for 41% of overall manufacturing attacks. The healthcare vertical saw a 39% increase in victims during the same period, and was targeted primarily by the ALPHV (also known as BlackCat) and LockBit ransomware groups.
Other key findings of Ransomware on the Move: Exploitation Techniques and the Active Pursuit of Zero-Days include:
- Organizations with reported revenue of up to
$50 million dollarswere the most at risk of being targeted (65%) while organizations with reported revenue above $500 million dollarsmade up 12% of total victims
- Victims of multiple ransomware attacks were more than 6x more likely to experience the second attack within three months of the first attack
- Financial services organizations saw an increase of 50% in the total number of impacted organizations year over year while the retail vertical ranks third in the number of ransomware victims per industry and saw a 9% increase
"Adversaries behind ransomware attacks continue to evolve their techniques and strategies striking at the heart of organizations by exfiltrating their critical and sensitive information," said
For additional information, the security community can access, engage with, and learn from Akamai's threat researchers by visiting the Akamai Security Hub and following the team on Twitter at @Akamai_Research. Visit Akamai at BlackHat in
The ransomware data used throughout this report was collected from the leak sites of approximately 90 different ransomware groups. It is typical of these groups to report details of their attacks, such as timestamps, victims names, and victim domains. It is important to note that these reports are subject to whatever each ransomware group has a desire to publicize. The successfulness of these reported attacks was not included in this research.
This research focused instead on the victims who were reported. For each analysis, the number of unique victims within each grouping was measured. This victim data was joined with data obtained from ZoomInfo to provide additional details about each victim, such as location, revenue range, and industry. All data was within the 20-month time frame of
Akamai powers and protects life online. Leading companies worldwide choose Akamai to build, deliver, and secure their digital experiences — helping billions of people live, work, and play every day. Akamai Connected Cloud, a massively distributed edge and cloud platform, puts apps and experiences closer to users and keeps threats farther away. Learn more about Akamai's security, compute, and delivery solutions at akamai.com and akamai.com/blog, or follow Akamai Technologies on Twitter and LinkedIn.
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/akamai-research-rampant-abuse-of-zero-day-and-one-day-vulnerabilities-leads-to-143-increase-in-victims-of-ransomware-301894645.html
SOURCE Akamai Technologies, Inc.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- NASA Names Winners of 2023 NASA Entrepreneurs Challenge
- MCCANN WORLDGROUP NAMED EPICA AWARDS 2023 NETWORK OF THE YEAR
- AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Lincoln National Corporation and Its Subsidiaries
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPRNewswire, Press Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!